In My Neighborhood in 95901>Question Details

Marlene, Other/Just Looking in Marysville, CA

what is the communties like in the Edgewater location?

Asked by Marlene, Marysville, CA Sun Jan 24, 2010

Answers

2
Very nice. Hopefully you will have a job in Sacramento. The area of Marysville has no jobs. But you can get a decent job with the State thru CalTrans or the State of California. Also Yuba County jobs are Marysville and Sutter County jobs is Yuba City.

Edgewater's building of homes was stopped over 15 years ago. The supervisors voted against the State of California not to build. Edgewater was to be a run off when it begins to flood so the water goes there. There were only 2 streets that had homes on it at the time. When the supervisors voted against the state, the state had them sign a waiver that said that if it floods, they can't blame the state. The supervisors signed the contract and let the builders build all those thousands of homes. It's a great area, but if it floods, gets who gets impacted. That's why they are scrambling around trying to let Marysville flood.

It's a shame people don't do their digging to find out why these homes were built in the first place. The riverbottom is the place where these homes were built. It's been that way for hundreds of years. If there is a bad flood, the entire area will be wiped out.

The same for the Plumas Lake. There is no lake there. But there was when the country drained all of it, started putting homes there, as this is another place that floods. Back in 1990's the place flooded and wiped out the area. Now there are homes there. I hope people would not buy the homes, but most did not know about the flooding. That's why there is flood insurance mandatory on these homes.

If you have a realtor who pushes you to buy, please do some history on the area, the land, and what the home is sitting on. You could be buying a place that was an orchard for hundreds of years and now there is a home on it. The chemicals have leached into the ground so your house may be toxic. The realtor doesn't care, that's why they push the homes. Most of these homes in these areas and Yuba City (Hillcrest, the area behind Sam's Club, etc) were orchards. Now there are homes. Do your digging and find out if your home and neighborhood was a toxic orchard. You will be shocked.

If your home is new and it's a new subdivision, chances are your area was an orchard. Avoid it at all costs. Own a home that has some history, go to the county office where the homes are licensed and where you have to pay the tax (the Assessor's Office). You can find the history of your home, who owned it and how long it's been around. If your new home is 10 years or younger, chances are it's in a subdivision that was an orchard.

I've been here and worked at the county level and found all this stuff out. I quit when I learned that these supervisors bypassed the state's recommendation NOT to build these subdivisions and put homes on it. It sickens me these poor people bought homes and didn't know what they were buying. They trusted the realtor and they trust the local government. So do your digging on your potential property. You will not have to suffer the consequences of buying a toxic home you can never sell:(
Edgwater is comprised of homes built between approximately 1994 to current. There were several different home builders, Taylor Morrison (what used to Morrison Homes), Corinthian Homes, Lennar, US Homes, and Reynen and Bardis. (May have left one or two out). They have a community website. I included a link to that site. Overall, I think that it is a nice community. There is a brand new Elementary school on Oakpark Drive. If you have any more questions, please let me know and I would be happy to shar with you what I know. Diane Alioa RE/MAX Gold license #01245720