Amber, Other/Just Looking in Outside U.S.

what is it like to live in pasadena?

Asked by Amber, Outside U.S. Thu Jun 3, 2010

Answers

7
Reading the responses to this question is like reading a brochure for a retirement community. Pasadena is like any other town that is close to a major metropolitan area like LA. Given its 100+ year history, Pasadena has gone through its ups and downs like many other cities. As it stands now, it has a lot to offer in the way of nightlife, restaurants, sport events, and education. However, what the other reviewers failed to mention is that there are some areas of Pasadena that are not as nice. These areas are low income areas that have just about everything you can think of e.g. gangs, drugs, etc. You'll pay a premium to live in the nice areas of Pasadena, however, if you can deal with the drama thats associated with a low income neighborhood, there are deals to be had. Just my thoughts.
@Greg - Easily. I was born and raised in Pasadena. My mother and brother still reside in Pasadena as well. People are more than their Trulia profiles, Greg.
Flag Tue Sep 24, 2013
How could a guy who lives in Diamond Bar comment on living in Pasadena?
Flag Mon Jun 24, 2013
I am a transplant from Northern California, where I lived for the first 22 years of my life. After marriage to my college sweetheart, I moved to my first home on Paloma Street in Pasadena. My transition was quite easy, and I have grown to love the Pasadena area with all of my heart. Since this first home, I have moved twice and now live in an adjacent community with great schools called San Marino. Pasadena is still my hood, the place where I do my shopping, have fun meals out and go to the movies. Pasadena and the surrounding communities have fantastic homes with unique and significant architecture. We are close to downtown and have easy access to freeways and all of the many Southern California sites. I would suggest Pasadena with my whole heart!
Dear Amber,
OMG! Pasadena is sooooo ( and more) full of surprises.
The area is split between NE, NW, SE and SW. NW - Area called Hasting Ranch is a nice residential area with ranch and traditional homes. Nice shopping area is nearby (Sears, Vroman's, Ralphs, Whole Foods, Golfsmith, etc.) Eaton Canyon is there for hiking. Eaton Canyon Golf Course is just around the corner. NE - Here you have the Rose Bowl and the Brookside Golf Course. There are many beautiful homes (lots of character) SE - The Madison Heights area is here and there is a Gold Line nearby that you can take to practically anywhere these days. You will find nice condo and townhome & of course historic and architechural homes. There is the Arroyo Seco Golf Course minutes away just off Orange Grove Blvd. Finally, the SW where the famouse Cal Tech and the Pas City College is located. The city college has been getting a lot of face lift and it looks more like a university these days. Cal Tech area also has mixed of homes (Spanish, traditional, mid-century, etc.). You can also walk to the Huntington Library if you reside in the Cal Tech area. Amber, there are too much to mention about Pasadena, we still have the Old Town Pasadena and the Paseo for all your shoppin needs.
Feel free to buzz me if you have any questions, or email me. Final word - you have to come to see what this wonderful city is all about. Words cannot explain how exciting this city is!
There are different areas of Pasadena, each with their own unique feel. So it will depend on your price range and taste for what areas you consider. Pasadena has a ton of art, culture and history, along with modern shops and restaurants. A client of mine who currently lives in Pasadena commented on how she loves how the neighbors there all truly seem to care about their houses and their yards (she specifically liked how you can drive down many streets and see nicely tended to and well-manicured lawns) and that it has a great neighborhood feel.

Good luck in your search and if you have any questions or need any help, please feel free to contact me.

Richard Schulman
#1 Buyers Agent KW Los Angeles Region
(310) 482-0173
schulmanrd@yahoo.com
Having grown up in the area I can truly say that Pasadena is a wonderful place to live with many choices for almost any lifestyle, regardless of any age or stage in life. So many things are at your doorstep, from skiing in the mountains to the beaches about 40 minutes away, fine dining (some recognized nationally), great shopping (from Tiffany to small local boutiques and farmer's markets), hiking no more than 10 minutes from any place in Pasadena (Mount Lowe path to Eaton Canyon), cycling, swimming, sporting events, bars, museums (Norton Simon & Huntington Gardens), colleges & universities (Cal Tech & Fuller) and the list is endless when you factor in Los Angeles just 10 minutes drive down the 110 Freeway! There are quiet living options near the mountains and in some canyons and there are urban lofts and condos in Old Town, with any in-between choices as well. The weather is consistent most of the year to allow outdoor activities of all types, and it's culturally diverse which provides for a rich tapestry of choices year after year. If you would like more details, please don't hesitate to contact me.
Web Reference: http://www.leebothast.com
Pasadena is a great area with many different types of neighborhoods. It is close to one of the biggest cities in the world in Los Angeles and also close to the mountains and the beaches. All within a 30 minute drive.

Pasadena has been particularly good at preserving their older homes and have events that few cities in the world have in the Rose Bowl games and Rose Parade. Few cities have all that Pasadena has. The schools are not rated the best however there are many private schools in the area to serve those who require higher rated schools. Lots of shopping, restaurants and culture, go to Old Town Pasadena!

And the weather is nice year round too.
Pasadena is a lovely city to live in. I lived there for twenty years. If you have any additional questions, please contact me at michellewynn@earthlink.net.

Michelle
Realtor, Coldwell Banker