Teres, Other/Just Looking in Oklahoma City, OK

what is it like to live in Camelot-Bel-Aire? I noticed that a lot of people have the porch lights on at nigh. Is the area quiet @ night?

Asked by Teres, Oklahoma City, OK Fri Sep 4, 2009

? What is the main concern of the residents whom reside in this community?

Answers

6
I like the area since I lived there off and on from 1971 to 1982, on 115th Pl. I worked for the builder of my parents house and helped build most of the house in the 2600 block of 115th St. The homes in Camelot seem to be a good value for the money at around $75 per sq ft, though some have been in need of piering. Knocked out and fixed up might get you $85. I have seen really bad ones that wouldn't bring $60 per ft. One thing to check for is that most of the two story homes back then were only built with one AC unit. You can't keep the upstairs cool with one unit for the whole house. We had that problem in mine.

It is kind of hit and miss when I drive through there, some homes are well kept and many long time residents, some there for 30 years or more. Other homes look like rentals or homes where people have just not kept up with them. The downside to the area is that it is in the OKC school system which is not as desirable as others. I went for a couple of years to Stonegate Elementary, 1965-1966, but transferred to Casady in 1966 for 4th grade and graduated from there so it was not an issue for us.

The only through streets are Camelot Dr connecting May Ave with 122nd St and Greystone conntecting Hefner to 122nd St. I would suggest spending some time driving around on a Saturday afternoon and evening to get a feel for it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 7, 2010
I live in the Bel-Aire area on 118th. We have been here for over 24 years. No problems. Everyone kind of looks out for each other. There is an active volunteer HOA. I have a house listed on 110th. There seems to be some improvement in that area in the last few months. There are some foreclosures and short sales, as in most areas. It is still a decent area.
I lived in Stonegate which is just south of Camelot and enjoyed living there. It is close to shopping and a great neighborhood for evening walks.

You mentioned seeing porch lights on. Leaving porch lights on is recommended by many neighborhood safety experts. It helps the owner see who may be at their front door and lets neighbors and those passing by more easily observe.

I am very familiar with the area and would be happy to help you find a home in thatnorvany other area.
I like Camelot. I lived there in the early 90s, and it was a quiet older neighborhood.

Good mix of families with kids, retired older couples, and even a few bachelors.

It's not a plush, high-end neighborhood. But, it offers a good value in a convenient location of town.
Pretty quiet neighborhood, and generally friendly neighbors.

We always felt safe as kids playing in the neighborhood back in the 90s. With that said, the neighborhood is showing it's signs of aging a bit. Some of the neighbors haven't updated their homes a great deal, or have older cheaper cars. Some have "beater" cars. That doesn't mean it's unsafe, but it's not high end either. There are some decently priced homes in the neighborhood-- some even top the $150,000 mark. It's older and perhaps a bit of a "more worn" look, but it's a quiet, and a respectable neighborhood. I would live there again. In fact, I visit the neighborhood every year and stroll down my old block (old school and house). I suggest you do the same.

I went to Stonegate Elementary School (now called something else). I loved it. I was lucky to have good teachers there. Some weren't so good. I took the "honors" (whatever they were called) classes and back then there was a lot of school spirit and parental involvement. I would like to say that parents are still involved in their kid's school, but that's not really the case as much. The kids don't have the manners they used to, ... but, it's a public school. You can't expect the sun and moon at a public school. While it might not be as amazing as it was when I attended, it's still safe enough with good enough teachers. I would send my child there.
Stop by ask the local residence determine how they feel about area include local merchants, visit the parks and etc. You might find your answers read local media reports.

National Featured Realtor and Consultant, Texas Mortgage Loan Officer, Credit Repair Lecturer
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Lynn911
Lynn911
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 6, 2009
Teres,

Keeping porch lights on during the evening hours is a ofter done as a welcoming gesture for neighbors and friends that may be visiting you at that time.

Our recommendation is to plan on visiting this area for evening walks and strike up conversations with the residents that are around then. You may be suprised with the information you will be able to collect.

The Eckler Team
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 6, 2009