Thompson Cyn…, Home Buyer in Whitney, New Orleans,...

what is a Walk score?

Asked by Thompson Cynthia, Whitney, New Orleans, LA Sat Feb 25, 2012

Answers

3
Walkability scores refer to how easy it is to walk from the property to things like markets, banks, restaurants, and other retail or work related businesses. If you were buying a property in the heart of Manhattan for example it would have a high walkability score. But if you were buying a farm in upstate NY then it would be safe to assume it would have a low walkability score.

Good question and I hope this explanation helps.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 25, 2012
In many communities today the residents have taken to the streets, literally. They leave their automobiles at home and walk, to the grocery store, the pharmacy, restaurants, or just for fresh air and exercise. So, many of them now use a 'walk score' to judge the 'walkability' of a neighborhood. We have many such communities here in New Jersey, communities with a vibrant downtown area and housing nearby. It's really pleasant to be able to get some sunshine and fresh air, some exercise, and meet and greet your neighbors as you walk to the corner store for your Sunday Newspaper or whatever.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 25, 2012
Actually Larry, I am from a small apple farming town in Upstate NY and we walked everywhere so I resemble that remark :-)! Amazing how our culture has become so automobile dependent and lazy. 1-2 mile walk was the norm back then. Almost seemed a waste to drive that close. You got your answers but I see your neighborhood in reference is "Big Canoe" situated in the foothills of the N. Georgia Mountains. I would give this neighborhood a ZERO for walkability. It's a 10 minute drive just to get to the entrance of the community from the middle and the hills are brutal for walkers and bikers. Get you a 4 wheel drive as well because getting out of your driveway in the winters can a feat.
no winters here.
Flag Tue Sep 4, 2012