In My Neighborhood in SOS>Question Details

Chester, Other/Just Looking in SOS, Santa Rosa, CA

what does SOS stand for?

Asked by Chester, SOS, Santa Rosa, CA Sun May 9, 2010

my neighborhood is listed as the SOS neighborhood of santa rosa, ca. 95404

Answers

5
Chester,
This puzzled me too -- since I had never heard of it before and I've been a real estate agent in Sonoma County since 1993. So I put on my investigator hat to find out. Somewhere on a city website a reference was made to SOS standing for Save Our Scenery. But that didn't really make sense as a name of an neighborhood association, so I inquired further and came up with this answer from Erin Morris, a Senior Planner with Community Development:

The “SOS” neighborhood group is evidence that the Neighborhood Association layer in our GIS system is out of date. I have long wondered what the second “S” stands for and we do not have a contact person from that area. I speculate that a neighborhood association may have formed around a single issue and then disbanded but I don’t know any long term residents of that neighborhood to ask.

Erin Morris | Senior Planner
Community Development |100 Santa Rosa Avenue, Room 3 | Santa Rosa, CA 95404
Tel. (707) 543-3273 | Fax (707) 543-3218 | emorris@srcity.org

If I might assist you further in matters related to your property please let me know

Sharon Hawthorne
ASK Realty
That is good work. I too have always wondered about that designation. Thank you so much, Sharon, for your diligence.
Flag Tue Jun 4, 2013
Any veterans here? Chipped beef on bad toast -

Gerry Dunn

Associate Broker
Maryland, D.C. and Virginia

gerry@MyPotomac.com
Great question. I think it means "Summary of Sales" and might be referring to what's on the market in your neighborhood. Thank you.
probably a disaster neighborhood :)
S.O.S stands for Save Our Ship