In My Neighborhood in 83634>Question Details

Amanda, Other/Just Looking in 60652

what are the strengths and weaknesses of this community?

Asked by Amanda, 60652 Thu Jan 13, 2011

Answers

6
Hello Amanda,

The zip 83634 covers the area of the City of Kuna--and then some. So all you're going to get is a general overview. As with any City, or even entire zip code, there are great areas and then there are some that are not so great.

I'll get right to your question:

Strengths:
Quiet, smaller rural and rural transition town with quite a bit of single family subdivisions, some newer and nice and some older and needing a bit of TLC. Variety.

While I don't have any kids in the district, I am told my almost everybody that talks about it, the Kuna Schools are great!

Pricing and affordability can fall in both the strength and weakness category. As a strength, the pricing is affordable and you can find some nice homes at a very good value.

Community. Some, not all of the people represent a vibrant and strong valued community--others however, represent a 'drop-out' mentality and their pride of ownership or lack there of underscores my point.

Because of it's affordability, Kuna seems to attract lower income demographics (only to certain areas) and in many cases those areas have more than normal deferred maintenance issues.

Kuna was hit hard by the real estate boom and bust. It attracted many first time home buyers and lower priced buyers, many of whom had purchased with little to no money down. When the market began to slide, those particular homeowners really got hit hard. Since then however, many of the distressed homes have cycled through the process of foreclosure and are now owned by people who definitely go in for a more realistic price.

Transit time to surrounding Cities, is a bit of a bummer--unless you can afford gas and like to drive. Fortunately though, the main thoroughfare, Meridian Rd, is 5 lanes and moves swiftly. If you work in Boise or Meridian, you'll need to leave early enough to provide time for transit.

Overall, Kuna is a quaint, cute little town with a cool history. It has become for lack of a better term, a 'bedroom community' with little economy to support all of its community members--many of which work in Boise, or Meridian. You can plan on doing most of your shopping at neighboring cities like Meridian since Kuna offers little in the way of larger grocery stores. Recently however, WalGreens set up camp and now provides Kuna with some convenience in that regard.

Hopefully that response is helpful, but what would be more helpful is if you could provide what it is that you're looking for. It's easier for locals and real estate professionals to help you find an area that meets your needs rather than you trying to hope that your needs fit into our descriptions o
Amanda,

I just got done entering 4 listings for Kuna this morning and I am very familiar with it. I have sold everything from vacant lots, development land, starter homes and beautiful acreage properties for horses or cows in Kuna.

Before I can answer effectively your question, I would have to know your vantage point, otherwise, my opinion would be just that and perhaps useless. Are you interested in schools, commute (if so, to where), crime, price, etc.

Here is a quick overview. If I had your email address, I could send you specifics:
Median home value roughly $140K compared to about $180K for the rest of the county;
Median age of homes 9 years vs 18 for the county;
81% owner occupied compared to only 69% for the county;
Population 9,000 compared to 390K for the county;
Median age 28.6 vs. 35.1;
Median Income per household, $49,763 vs $56,738
More 2 year (associates degress but less 4 year) than county;
Cost of living index is only 90 compared to 100 in US (cheaper in Kuna);
It gets about 2 inches of rain less each year than the rest of the county;
It stays about 1 degree warmer in the winter and 1 degree cooler in the summer;
Commuting: there is no bus major public transportation in Kuna.

In order to effectively answer you question (even though it sounds like a simple question) would be to first ask, "What is important to you in a community?" and then we can research how effectively this community compares to in those areas to the surrounding community!

I can assist at that level or I can dummy down and show you properties telling you which room is the kitchen and which is the master bedroom if you like (grin).

Jim Paulson
Owner/Broker - Progressive Realty Corporation
208-573-0471
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 14, 2011
Amanda,

Jim Paulson has given you some great information on Kuna, ID. He didn't want to give you his opinion on Kuna because it is just that, an opinion. I would like to perhaps give you some information that is mostly opinion so just know that this is opinion.

If you are interested in living in a quiet community that still has wide open spaces then Kuna certainly fits that requirement. There was quite a bit of building when things were booming but extremely slowed down when things started going south. There are a lot of lower cost homes in Kuna and acreages with homes. The mid-range market is not as prevalent. Meridian is the closest community outside of Kuna and is where you would be going for your major shopping. Kuna has a grocery store, hardware store and misc. that you would find in a small town. They have had some additional businesses open such as a Pizza Hut and a couple of newer restaurants open in the area in the last couple of years. Because of its size, Kuna has community activities which probably pull out most of the residents. I recently have had a friend whose son had a stroke at a young age. He lives in Kuna and the community got together and had a fund-raising yard sale to raise money for his hospital and rehabilitation costs. My friend was overwhelmed with the kindness and work that people would go through for him. It is a community which reminds me of what Eagle, ID used to be like when I was growing up there. It is a town where you can go for peace and quiet but you are still close enough to the surrounding areas for shopping and entertainment. That is my opinion of the area. I hope that might have been of some help to you.
Amanda, this area offers a good mix of newer and older homes that are very affordable. It has easy access to I-84 and Meridian by means of Hwy 69. It's also approved for USRD loan program which will allow for 100% financing which is great for first time homebuyers. Kuna is growing and you have local shops, professional offices, schools, grocery stores etc.

Juniper Cooper
Juniper Cooper & Associates
Keller Williams Realty Boise
sales@junipercooper.com
208-321-5585
Hi Amanda,

Being very familiar with the area a good majority of my business brings my clients to the community. The community has several things to offer and is very family oriented. Years ago being majority farm land the community is growing well with good home pricing and still keeping that neighborly feel. Pretty much every week the area has some type of community get together and always offer's several activity's for the school age. If you would like I would be more than happy to show you around the area and what it has to offer.

Alex R. Trent w/ http://www.FindYourNewHomeBoise.com
Hi Amanda,

There are many places you can research an area. Census will give you main stream statistics. You can check out the local school websites and the state school website. With all the wonderful information that can be found on the internet it is quite easy. I like to use yelp for reviews, there are many other review websites that can give you a feel for a community. Check out the local community websites for the county and towns. Also I would advise driving around an area. Go into the local restaurants for coffee.
Good Luck
Christine