Audrey Penn…, Home Buyer in Durham, NC

what are the rules about fences for dogs and outdoor buildings such as sheds?

Asked by Audrey Penn Koren, Durham, NC Mon Oct 17, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


Well I know you have the link to Treyburn :) However in reading your question you could mean that you are bothered by a neighbor who has put up a shed or has a barking dog. A barking dog is considered a nuisance, I would suggest you talk with your home owners association before speaking with the police. Talk to them about the shed too, if that is the issue.
Best of luck to you, love your community
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 20, 2011
Hello Audrey
I am familiar with Treyburn and I agree with Larry, that site is very good.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 17, 2011
If you live in a subdivision with a HomeOwner Association, then contact them or you should have their rules
at hand.... If you do not live in a subdivision with a Home Owners Association contact the building commissioner of your town, they will be able to tell you exactly what you can and cannot do, you then have
to provide them with a plan and present them for acceptance....
Each town has its own rules and sometimes they are different for different properties, i.e. how far away from the next property, how close to the home, to the alley way etc.

So careful double check, and if you are the buyer, same here do not buy the property thinking you can do this that and something else, get the information from the right source first and your Realtor who is helping you
to find your property will be of assistance where to check.... and make sure you know exactly what you need.

Edith YourRealtor4Life~! And Chicago/NorthernIllinois and North Shore Expert
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 17, 2011

I'm fairly familiar with Treyburn, and would suggest he following site to you
there are a number of links to HOA specific documents. Fences are allowed, but there may be different requirements affecting the different sections within Treyburn. Outbuildings are allowed (again you would need to seek approval from the HOA) but could be limited by the size of the lot you're consdiering. I'm unclear if you're looking at one of the large lots at Treyburn Pointe for example and having a home built or if you're looking at a resale home somewhere else within Treyburn.

Based on my clients experiences I consider Treyburn's HOA relatively easy to work with, and you'll always get more being nice than starting off confrontational.

If I can be of any further assistance to you, feel free to contact me through my perrsonal profile here on Trulia.

Good Luck and Happy House Hunting!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 17, 2011
The rule of thumb is work nicely with your modification's committee, and understand the dispute resolution process as written in the recorded restrictive covenants (as opposed to the unrecorded versions the board publishes).

My recommendation is that if your unsatisfied, keep trying to collaborate and coordinate with the community leaders. It can get expenisive if you don't. Take it from someone who learned the hard way.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 17, 2011
Hi Audrey,

You can find the answers to your question at, there are links to the information there as well as contact numbers for the Home owners assoc.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Kerry Johnson
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 17, 2011
I suggest contacting your home owner's association (if you have one) to see what their rules are for your neighborhood. If you do not have one, I suggest calling your city official's offices. They should know the laws regarding the issues you are asking about. Good Luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 17, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer