Martha V. My…, Home Buyer in 19144

the area where 4926 Brown St is located has been referred to as "the bottom". Can this be considered to be true concerning this neighborhood?

Asked by Martha V. Myers, 19144 Tue Nov 10, 2009

? Does this mean that this area is unsafe or unfit to live in?

Answers

2
Hi Martha,

I am very familiar with the area that you are referring to. I went to middle school just around the corned for this address. The area was originally was called the Black Bottom that was a predominantly African American neighborhood in the 1950s & 1960s. Somewhere along the line, the Black part was dropped and people just referred to the area as the bottom. The area has had an “urban makeover”. The Mill Creek Apartment housing projects were demolished in 2002 and replaced with Lucien Blackwell Homes. There were planned to build another housing development for low-to mid income home buyers but I suspect that the plans for that has been cancelled or delayed due to the economic recession.

As far as safety, that is a subjective question. What one person considers safe, may not be the same for someone else. My advice to you is to check out the neighborhood yourself. Go at different hours of the day or ask the neighbors how they feel about the neighborhood. You’ll be amazed about how forthcoming and honest people are. You can also check the crime statistics on the Philadelphia Police Department website to come to your own conclusion as to whether this will be the right neighborhood for you.

If you have any questions, feel free to give me a call at 215-687-2629.

Good Luck

Samantha Weekes
Exit Realty “The Tri State Group”
1080 N Delaware Ave Ste 200
Philadelphia PA 19125
Ofc: 215-425-2200
Martha,

A realtor is not legally allowed to discuss such a question however what we can suggest is you look into the Philadelphia police department as they keep records of such information and you can determine your answer that way.

Sean Dawes