In My Neighborhood in 95501>Question Details

haley.claypo…, Home Owner in Eureka, CA

that is my grandmas house and i love it but if there is an earthquake it sucks.

Asked by haley.claypool, Eureka, CA Mon Feb 20, 2012

Answers

11
Hi, I am a former owner of this home and love how beautifully the current owner has maintained (lovely color by the way) the house and improved the landscaping. It was the first home I purchased (at the young age of 25) and we refinished the interior redwood trim and I have lots of great memories playing chase through the circular floor plan with my daughter and neighbor kids.

I feel the house is really a safe place to be in an earthquake. As a solid redwood built home, it flexed and absorbed the shock of earthquakes when I lived there. Which was very reassuring as I had moved to Eureka after horrid experiences with earthquakes in the early 80's Mammoth Lakes, California. After leaving Eureka I moved to the San Francisco/Bay Area and was there during the big quake - which was scary. The construction of the S street house is optimal for safety in earthquakes, but there are probably a few inexpensive improvements which could be made. I hope this offers you some comfort related to your Grandmother's safety. :)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 1, 2012
Which house are you referring to? I am the current owner of this home and I would love some history on it.
Flag Sat Aug 18, 2012
Just like driving a car or skydiving.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 21, 2012
Sunspots, meteors, comets, Tsunami's all "suck" at all homes IF....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 21, 2012
This is a hoot. Looks like we have multiple owners all living or having lived in the same house for the past 40 or so years that don't know each other. LOL!

On another note, however, I must take issue with anyone who suggests that a 100 year old home is safer than homes built according to the standards imposed after the 1994 Northridge Earthquake. We've been providing seismic retrofitting services on old homes from bungalows to mansions from San Diego to Santa Barbara since the mid 80's and I can tell you first hand that many if not most homes built from circa '40's and older were never properly affixed to their foundation and can and often times do fall off their foundation resulting in a total loss.

If there are homes built during that period that are still standing it's not because of their redwood superiority albeit full sized heart redwood is by far one of the best ways to build. But a structure is only as strong as its weakest point and that point is where the plate meets the stem wall is the most vulnerable if not bolted. Additionally if the home is built on a cripple wall and it is not shear paneled it will fall over like a house of cards.
Excuse me I have question. This house is listed as built in 2005, and from the pictures and virtual tour it has either been drastically renovated or someone is lying - this is not a 40 Year old home. How about some honest or real information instead of filling up with BS.
Earthquakes are scary events ... but I'd rather ride one out in a 100-year-old redwood frame home than any other construction. Wood framing takes ground motion better than most construction styles. If you're living in a well maintained, 100-year-old frame home in earthquake country, the house has already proved itself.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 15, 2012
Actually,who is your Grandmother? Our family has owned the home for 40 plus years.It is completely made out of SOLID redwood..the craftsmanship is stunning.
How old is the home and how is it constructed.? There are certain things you can do to mitigate your Grnadma's home. We're a San Diego based earthquake retrofitting company and would not be able to offer our services as it would be geographically and economically unrealistic for us.

However, if you give me some basic information and possibly email some photos of the home I would be happy to give you some suggetions that may help you. My email address is ontheleve@cox.net. I would be happy to do a visual and offer up some ideas at no cost to you.

However, bear in mind that there is no such thing as "Earthquake Proofing" any structure and I would not assume any responsibiity for any damages your home might incur if in the path of an Earthquake. These are only suggestions. For a more accurate study you will want to contact an earthquake engineering company in your area for a thorough evaluation of the property.
Hello Hayley,
Yes, living in that region in California you are more susceptible to earthquakes but everyone there is taking that risk. It is your decision whether or not you wish to live in an area that experiences earthquakes.
Do make sure that the hot water heater is strapped to the walls.

Good luck to you!

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
Hi Haley,
There are a lot of houses that would 'suck' if there is a major earthquake. That said, your grandma's house is still standing after all these years.
The glass is always half empty, huh??
Web Reference: http://www.321property.com
no it is both... half empty AND Half Full.... It can't be one w/out the other. There's Always at least two sides to Everything. just my .02 worth.
Flag Sun Jun 1, 2014