Anne, Home Buyer in Nashville, TN

potentially moving from Nashville, TN to Seattle. I have heard wonderful things about Queen Anne. We have two children, ages 3 and 2. Is this area?

Asked by Anne, Nashville, TN Fri Oct 16, 2009

family friendly? I know nothing of the public school systems or preschools in the area and would love to talk to any moms out there?

Answers

14
Queen Anne has some great areas, as does neighboring Magnolia. But to find the right fit for you, there are some things that your agent will need to know.
1. What's your price range?
2. What kind of house do you want?
3. What amenities does your house and neighborhood need?
4. Where will you be working?
5. How many cars do you have?
6. What makes you comfortable in a home/neighborhood?
7. Have you checked out schoolmatters.org?
8. Will you be driving to work or taking the bus?

There are some really great schools scattered throughout the area, so getting a bit more info about your lifestyle would go far toward helping you decide where to look.
I most certainly would not limit my search to Queen Anne if I was you. Seattle city planning has divided the city into Urban Areas, and Urban Villages and promotes different types of growth in each one. The Urban Villages, like Queen Anne have many retail amenities and areas of density next to single family homes. You should really get assistance from a Broker who is familiar with all these areas and who is willing to tour the areas/villages so you can see the diverse and wonderful attributes of each one. They are so uniquely different, I'm sure you can find a great area that fits your lifestyle and values. And if the eclectic nature of Seattle is not to your liking, there is always the east side.
Dear Anne,

As a fellow southerner who moved to the Seattle area quite a few years back, let me warn you: People here are not as friendly or polite and everything is ridiculously overpriced. I don't know what schools are like in Nashville in particular but I can tell you, as a mom, that I have been sorely disappointed by the schools in the area and people here look at me like I'm an alien for it. The schools I grew up with in Florida were ten times better. Here, there's so much emphasis on math that they're forced to dumb down everything else (we have Mr. Gates to thank for that, I imagine). Kids here are spoiled and mean and have little to no appreciation of "outside". The weather here is terrible for nine months out of the year. The job market here is dominated by contracting companies that treat professional employees like dirt. People here cannot drive and do not know how to merge. Traffic is a mess. City planning is a disaster. Roads don't make sense. And last winter was, frankly, hell. People here don't seem to have much in the way of common sense and nearly every year you hear some story about some idiot who got themselves - and sometimes their whole family - killed doing something truly moronic like running a generator inside. Icy roads were not cleared. Garbage piled up for weeks. When people here say, "Let's get together sometime," what they actually mean is, "Let's NEVER get together." (Research the Seattle cold shoulder for more on how dysfunctional people here are.)

Bottom line, if you can avoid moving to Seattle, you probably should. Families are being chased out of Seattle proper left and right due to ridiculous prices. Oh, and one more thing: You'll hear lots about how wonderful public transit here is. I'm sure it's great if you're single and don't have kids. For the rest of us, it's just not a realistic option. And parking is a nightmare... and they like it that way. And just from what I know from working in Queen Anne... good luck with that! [shakes her head] Snobbery at it's worst.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 21, 2009
Another name for QUEEN ANNE is the COUNTERBALANCE. To a Tennesseen this is like having the Mt Eagle climb on your own street. Once you take the bus down the hill there are alot of neet things to do like go to the
Seattle center where an Elvis movie about worlds fair was made.

Any way do you have a house for sale in Nashville? I have a home for sale on a treefilled large yard in Seattle. its a great house for a growing family. the big problem is I live in Nashville. The home is near parks, recreation centers and schools.
I have lived in Queen Anne for 10 years and it is a great choice. Coming from Nashville, you need to prepare yourself for some serious sticker shock on housing here. You will be disappointed with what your money will buy compared to your current home. There are great alternatives to Queen Anne that are less expensive, but still far pricier than Nashville. (Ballard, Wallingford, Magnolia, Fremont, etc)
Web Reference: http://blog.findwell.com
Funny that you are moving form Tennessee! I just got back from visiting my family in Memphis and since getting back have run into three families moving from various areas in Tenn to Seattle. I have a two year old and although I don't live on Queen Anne, I have lots of family and friends with children that do. I would be happy to help if you or just answer questions if you need anything:) I also have some other neighborhoods in mind as well.

Good luck in either case and I am excited for you and your family to come to Seattle!
Web Reference: http://www.cooperjacobs.com
Not us, though. Right, Ben?
Mack....there are plenty of agents active on Trulia that are Moms also ;-)
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 18, 2009
Queen Anne is wonderful, and the moms - being homeowners already and not in the market - are unlikely to see your post here. There's a QA mom's blog; http://www.seattle-moms.com. My clients have really liked Queen Anne.
Yes. Also don't forget about Magnolia, Wallingford, Madison Park, among others. Your price range is going to play a large role in this.
Dear Anne,

There is a resurgence of young families living in the close in Seattle neighborhoods like Queen Anne. I believe the question is schools plus what kind of lifestyle do you want? Do you want a close in location with a short commute to Seattle, restaurants and shops to which you can walk and ample bus transportation? If so, Queen Anne definitely fills the bill.

Most of my clients through the years have wanted a 20 to 30 minute commute, so you may want to research what is within 20 minutes of where you will be working. I am happy to answer your questions on that, because time has a lot to do with the traffic patterns.

It sounds as if you're looking for some neighborhood comparisons. On my web site, under "About the Area", I have links to each of the public school systems in the Seattle area and also the Eastside. I also have a link to "Web Towns", which explains the different Seattle neighborhoods.

Since price is usually an issue, you may want to save a search so you can see what your money will buy. I do have two great Search solutions on my website, http://www.mcknightrealty.com .

Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Warm Regards,
Karen
Hi there! I not only live in Magnolia but I went to Queen Anne when it was a high school (pre-condominium) and it's a wonderful neighborhood to raise a family. I have a son (8 years old) who goes to Catharine Blaine K-8 on Magnolia but realistically anywhere you could live in our 'cluster' (Blaine, Lawton, Coe or John Hay) is a super place to raise a family. If I can be of any assistance, drop me a line!
Wayne Lubin
Realtor for John L. Scott
Anne,

Hello there. I am not a mom, but a dad and a real estate professional living on Queen Anne. I have lived on Queen Anne for 13 years and have two daughters at Coe Elementary on the hill. They are in 1st and 3rd grade. The answer to you first question is yes Queen Anne is very family friendly. There are tons of families on the hill and it is a wonderful community.

There are two public elementary (K-5) schools on Queen Anne, Coe and John Hay. They are both very good schools. You also have a good selection of private schools in the area including St. Annes, Country Day, Our Lady of Fatima, which are also great schools. The middle school on Queen Anne, McClure, has been one of the weak links on the hill but is improving dramatically due to some changes the district has made. High school is one area they are working on for providing needed capacity for the Magnolia/Queen Anne cluster as they refer to it. There is not currently a high school in Queen Anne or Magnolia. Our reference school is Ballard High School. There may be an additional reference high school option for the Queen Anne/Magnolia kids implemented over the next few years, which should be by the time my daughters make it there.

There are also a good selection of different pre-schools around Queen Anne and Magnolia. My daughters did the Co-op preschool and Kaleidoscope pre-shools over in Magnolia and they were both good. My youngest daughter also did the pre-K program through the Boys and Girls club which is offered at Coe Elementary on Queen Anne. Queen Anne also has a co-op preschool and there are a few others as well, so you do have a lot of options in this area. The key though is figuring out which one you like the best and getting on the list to the pre-school you want. This was one of the frustrating things we found out, due to the number of small children in the Queen Anne/Magnolia area and the limited number of spots at each pre-school. I don't want to scare you there, but give you a heads up on what to expect. The public schools do Open Houses in the Jan/Feb timeframe for new families. I would also be happy to introduce you directly to the principals at Coe and John Hay elementary if you are planning a visit to the area or if you would like to talk with them on the phone about their school, their curriculums, etc. If you google "Queen Anne preschools" this will pull up the different preschools in the area. Some of these have reviews from parents as well. A good web-site to look at which outlines all the private and public schools in the area is http://schoolguide.seattletimes.nwsource.com/. I also have these link on my website at http://www.BrianMarshallHomes.com

I hope this info helps. If it is truly a mom you would like to talk with, I would be happy to offer my wife (mom) to you to chat with. :) She is involved pretty heavily in the PTA at Coe and as mentioned we had experience with three different preschools in the area. If this is something you are interested in feel free to contact me.

Best wishes and let me know if there is anything else I can be of assistance with.

Brian Marshall
Skyline Properties, Inc.
206-356-2432
Hi Anne,
Queen Anne is a wonderful neighborhood. It offers a definite sense of community and vibrant local "scene" with some highly regarded schools. There are also some great parks and playgrounds - my 3 & 4 year old boys can attest to this. It is also an area that caters to most price brackets as there is a good mix of housing types. My wife would be more than happy to chat to you and pass on her Mom's perspective on QA, so feel free to give us a call at anytime.
Kindest Regards
Ben

Ben Allison
Jet City Modern & The Cascade Team
Full Service Listing for 1% & Buyer Bonus Program
Outrageous Service! Not Outrageous Commissions!
206-402-2442 (Mobile)
425-396-4569 (Office)
206-708-6639 (Fax)
http://www.jetcitymodern.com
http://www.thecascadeteam.com