In My Neighborhood in 27606>Question Details

Gail Merda, Renter in Southwest Raleigh, R...

is there an older part of the raliegh area that has the rural feeling to it.?

Asked by Gail Merda, Southwest Raleigh, Raleigh, NC Wed Jul 16, 2014

Answers

18
There are many areas in the city that have a rural feeling. Raleigh also allows for chicken coops if you want to get real country. I see rural spots sprinkled throughout the city often in areas you might not expect. For value however, you can be communtable to Raleigh, but get a lot more house for your dollar if you are willing to drive a bit in any direction! Great rural homes can be found in Wake Forest, Youngsville, Pittsboro, Willowsprings, Apex, and the list goes on!!! Once you get pre-approved, I can connect you with the top agents for each area you are considering.
Hi Gail! I think it all depends on your definition of 'rural' feeling. My assumption is you are not a fan of the cookie cutter neighborhoods with your neighbor being within arm's reach. That being said there are a lot of areas in Raleigh that have a rural feeling, many places where you can't even see your neighbor. Budget and distance will be the biggest deciding factor. You can get more land in the city but will pay more than if you went outside 540 to get the same amount of land. Feel free to contact me to discuss in more detail, my email is mcrean@fmrealty.com.

Thanks for your question!
There are several areas in Raleigh that have more of a country feel and surroundings, but still close to all the ammenities. I have several agents that I work with in Raleigh, that would be happy to consult you. First we would just need to determine what side of Raleigh works best for you. Feel free to give me a call....Rob 919-894-6905
Yes, there are several areas. Some are inside the city, some are just outside the city limits. Some "Raleigh" addresses are actually Wake County, outside the city but still within an easy drive to downtown. Look for areas to the northeast and southeast (but be aware of where the 540 expansion will possibly go) to find many beautiful small-village, rural properties. And if you're looking for a place where you can have horses, for example, look at Wendell. There's a new equestrian preserve being created there, that is attracting quite a few horse folks. I'll be happy to help you locate the right property.
Absolutely. We have several areas not far from my office that offer a country feel while still being convenient to major highways and shopping. Contact me and I'll share what I know with your needs. No obligation.
Gail- I live in North Raleigh near Falls Lake. The homes in that area are required to be on acre lots due to the watershed around Falls Lake. You can get the feeling of being in a rural area and also be in a neighborhood close to grocery stores and medical centers. If you go to the North side of falls lake towards Wake Forest you will also be in an area where the lots are larger. Let me know if I can help you in your search!
I live in the same area. Defintiely worth exploring!
Flag Thu Jul 17, 2014
The oldest parts of Raleigh are going to feel urban or suburban. Matthew's right: toward Garner is the best rural feel within striking distance of downtown. It a also has some parts that feel "old" ... North Raleigh (above 540) starts to feel rural at some point but I always wonder if I'm in Virginia at that point. Go South or East and you won't have to go as far.
Hey Gail- There are definitely places in North Raleigh, but also Southwestern part of Raleigh where it borders Garner in 27603 that may be just what you're looking for. Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.
Gail, of course, all depends on the price range you feel comfortable with. Many buyers looking for a rural setting who want to be near shopping find the area along Creedmoor Road north of Hwy 540 a nice area. Some buyers have been fond of the Black Horse Run subdivision.
You really don't have to go very far outside of Raleigh to get a rural feel. I would suggest focusing on the NE side of Raleigh above 540 or what about the Knightdale, Wendell or the Zebulon area? If you go towards Johnston County, you can stay in Wake and feel like you are out in the middle of no where. The only caution I throw out there is that as the area grows and more people move into the area, what was rural less than 10 years ago isn't so anymore. Where 540 meets 64 is a great example. When I moved here in 1993, that was a huge field with cows... Now it's a major shopping area with several medical facilities. If I can be of any assistance to you, check out my website shown below.
There are sections of Raleigh that have the rural feel to them. For example portions of Buffalo Road across 540 are still in the 27616 zip code (Raleigh). It is beautiful out that way and you will actually see farms and barns. You should take a drive out and roam around a bit. However, you are still close enough to Triangle Town Mall and Plantation Center both accessible via 540. Happy hunting!
I agree with the comments posted below. I would also add Wendell into the mix as well. It has a quaint downtown area and you get good "bang for your buck". It is 15-17 minutes from downtown Raleigh and about the same to various parts of North Raleigh. Highway 264 (Future 495) and 540 have really connected eastern Wake to the rest of the county. Eastern Wake is a great place to be sub-100 per foot.
South Raleigh will feel the most rural. North of 540 near Falls Lake has some areas with land that will also give you a similar feeling while being a 15-20 minute drive to N Raleigh for shopping. There are cities surrounding Raleigh that would also be considered rural as well. One thing to consider is if you need to commute to work or other activities. Being rural is nice, but a 30-45 minute commute to and from work every day might not be ideal depending on your situation.
Out Capital Boulevard around Wake Forest I like . . . also because it is more that thirty miles from the nuclear power plant . . . a break point for relative safety in the event of a melt down.
One of my specialties is historic districts in Raleigh/Wake County. Give me a call anytime.

Jim Howard
919.448.6111
If you don't mind being a little further away from Raleigh, both Pittsboro and Hillsborough are very nice.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 16, 2014
Yes, Gail. There are areas in North Raleigh where you can find a couple of acres with more of a rural feel.
What price point?
You might want to check out some of the outlying towns such as Wake Forest, Holly Springs, Clayton, Fuquay-Varina, Knightdale. As far as in town limits there are some areas off of Buffaloe Road as well as some areas in Northeast Raleigh that might meet what you are looking for.