In My Neighborhood in 30228>Question Details

Rmclark, Home Owner in 30228

is fair market value actual value of home?

Asked by Rmclark, 30228 Sun Jan 22, 2012

When I was a young boy I once told my dad how excited I was that I had a Rickey Henderson baseball card and it was now worth $5.50 according to my baseball guide! His response taught me something about value that I still use today when discussing homes with clients..... A man of not many words, he cleared his throat and in response to my comment said, "find someone to give you $5.50 for it". Your home is worth what someone is willing to reasonably pay for it. That is its market value.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 22, 2012
Good call Peter - I hear the same thing from my kids...I can sell this for 100 on Ebay. The basement is filled with $100 Ebay garbage....

It don't mean a thing if it aint got that cash register ring......
Actual value of a home is what a well informed "normal-arm's length" buyer pays for it. All other "values" are opinions/estimates based upon current comparable data. As you know, those can vary significantly.

The market determines "value", nothing else.
Another aspect of the home's fair market value relates to whether the transaction is at indeed at "arm's length" -- that is that the Buyer and Seller are not related for example or other special circumstances.

Marilyn Holda-Fleck
Prudential NJ Properties
Fair market value is the value of a property based on comparable homes that have sold recently and of similar size, features and location. It will change daily, weekly and yearly as homes sell.
FMV is what a willing buyer and a willing seller agree to. That is my definition of a property's worth. Appraisals and assessments are easier to get but are not so accurate.
The value of a home is the price a ready, willing and able buyer will pay and what a seller will accept.
Web Reference: