Curious C, Home Owner in 23060

if i had 10 acres in goochland, could i divide it into 2-3 parcels fory heirs?

Asked by Curious C, 23060 Wed Feb 15, 2012

Answers

5
As Jessica stated below, you need to go to the county's planning and zoning office to ask that question. When parcels are sold, they generally have restrictions on them for the size of the lot, etc. Especially in a rural area like Goochland. All of this is due to the fact that you most likely have a well and septic on the property and if the parcel was divided, will the other areas of the parcel perk for and additional septic system and another well or wells would have to be installed. You would first need to find out if they will even allow that parcel to be subdivided and then pay for the proper tests to be done to see if the land will perk.

I live in Goochland County as well, so I know that most parcels have specific restrictions regarding use. Here is the link to the Planning Department's information on Goochland County's website: http://www.co.goochland.va.us/Departments/DepartmentsGZ/Plan…

Call the person listed in your district as they will be able to better assist you with your question. Good luck!

And if you ever need help with either buying or selling real estate, I hope that you will give me a call.

Tina Beasley
Associate Broker, ASP
Envision Real Estate, Lc
804-972-9927
The advice others have given to contact the county Planning & Zoning Dept. is good. There are many variables that determine the answer. Among them, the amount of road frontage, whether this is a parent parcel (existed as a parcel in 1979), how many homes would be served by a private road, and the availability of a perc site for each parcel. It also makes a difference if you want a "family partition" - that is for the use of family members for at least 5 years, or if the heirs want to sell their parcels. Unless your heirs want to live on the property, your best bet is probably to sell the 10 acre parcel & divide the money. It's much easier! Whatever you want to do, we'll be glad to help you.
Rachel Parker
Parker Properties, Inc.
804-784-3333
Yes, if there are no easements on the land. We did that with my grandmother's property in Goochland. It was only 7 acres, and we split it into 3 lots and sold them. Only one lot had a home on it, and the others have since built homes on them.
I just want to make it known that I would love to live in a place with the name Goochland.

We are always re-naming neighborhoods in Chicago to hype real estate potential, and I would like to see Goochland make the list.

Whatever you do, please don't leave Goochland.
Zoning regulations vary from county to county. The best answer to your question will be provided by the Goochland County Zoning Administrator. In many cases there are restrictions on property divisions.