Yvette Field…, Home Buyer in Jersey City, NJ

i rent a duplex,now the landlord wants me to remove my belongings from one floor and only occupy one floor.can he do this legally?

Asked by Yvette Fields-ross, Jersey City, NJ Fri Nov 30, 2012

he says no one is to occupy the bottom floor,but he rented it to me as a up and downstairs apartment.6 beds 2 baths for 1800 a month. now he wants me to move out of the bottom part due to state inspectors, which i believe wont pass inspection and hell be fined. what can i do. i have too many kids to cram into 3 bedrooms upsairs?

Answers

6
check your lease and with an attorney

but it may still be legal for you to occupy both floors The thing you are probably not allowed to have are beds on the lower floor.

You may be entitled to all your rent back depending what the lease says check with an attorney.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 1, 2012
You'll need to check your lease to be sure what the landlord can and cannot do. But if the downstairs will not pass a state inspection then you will need to speak with an attorney as to your rights.
Same here, just a comment from a consultant, not an attorney:

What does the lease state? If it states you are renting both units in the duplex, there is not much they can do to just kick you out without a justified cause and an eviction notice.

Amos Elroy
CDPE (Certified Distressed Property Expert),
SFR (Short-Sale Specialist Certified)
NAEA Member (National Association of Expert Advisers)

Residential Real Estate Investment Consultant
Lic. Realtor Associate
EXIT On The Hudson Realty
(888) 462-6573 / (888) HOB-NJRE
FAX (888) 462-6573
Office 201-437-0411
http://www.HobNJRE.com

Twitter & Facebook: HobNJRE
Hello Yvette,
One of the terms of my licensce as a real estate broker/agent is that I am not allowed to practive law. You wouldn't want my legal advice anyway as while I did attend a top ten law school, I didn't finish the first semester. That's how long it took me to realize I didn't want to be an attorney.
Your questions however bring up more questions and you do have rights as a tenant.
If you send me an email, I will be happy to forward to you a list of real estate attorneys I work with on a regular basis who can offer their advice and services.

Best of luck to you.

Bruce Levitt
Coldwell Banker
BLevittNJRealtor@aol.com
100 Washington Street
Hoboken, NJ 07030
201-798-3300 office
973-710-2293 cell
You really need to speak to a attorney. It doesn't seem to be legal and you probably can get damages from the landlord. If you'd like a referral, let me know.
If it won't pass inspection;
this is going to happen, one way or another:
You don't say if you have a LEASE, but it doesn't sound like it.
Possibly, you should start looking for an alternative.