In My Neighborhood in 32459>Question Details

Jackie Wildh…, Home Buyer in Santa Rosa Beach, FL

i have a 13 yr old girl.. coming from boarding school looking for small good school.. how is the area for the schools and living conditions?

Asked by Jackie Wildhagen, Santa Rosa Beach, FL Tue Mar 2, 2010

This area for schools is superb. You have a variety of schools to choose from, public or private. The area is probably one of the few like it, since it was laid out with ease of proximity in mind. Many kids here walk or ride their bike to the schools they attend. There is basically no crime. We have a 2 week old and are very much looking forward to her attending school in Santa Rosa Beach. You can find public schools in Walton County which top many private schools in other areas of the country.
You can also look at this website for Montessori in your area...
I guess everything is relative. What do you consider to be as acceptable "living conditions?" South Walton is a great place to live in my opinion. Beach lifestyle, low crime, fairly safe everywhere you go, plenty of free events, shows, concerts, etc in most every major development, 40% of the land is state parks or state forest.

Regarding schools, they rank well in Florida. As mentioned below, the new Emerald Coast Middle School is under construction. There is a Montessori school in Pt Washington, plus the highly respected Seaside School (charter school), plus the high-scoring public schools. There are no school districts in South Walton. You can choose which school your kid attends for the public schools, but as noted, there is a waiting list to get into the small Seaside School.
I agree with Miriam - we have some really good schools here. I have a step-daughter in Emerald Coast Middle School right now (7th grade). She is on the school softball team and is really enjoying herself. The teachers and administrators are all very nice people. The students love the school - that says a lot. I do the morning "drop off" at school and all the kids are smiling. There is a dress code, but that mostly consists of wearing a school t-shirt - not really a big deal at all.

Seaside is another great option. Incidentally, the county is building a new Emerald Coast Middle School on Highway 98 right now. The current school buildings will be absorbed into adjoining Butler Elementary, which was the original expansion plan.

I've been here for 10 years. My wife and I have been married for almost 3 years now. My stepdaughter started the 5th grade at Butler and had no trouble being quickly accepted and is very happy here. This is a great place to live!
Web Reference:
Keep in mind opinions are often suggestive--why not consider visiting the school district(s), ask for a tour of the facilities, speak to the principals, teachers, etc., then make a determination, where will your comfort level best be reached.
You have a few excellent choices for schools. Seaside Neighborhood School It is a public charter school, just 113 students - no fee to attend. They are taking applications for next year right now - must be a resident to apply. There is a new private school - OH Institute it goes from 6th through 12th grade. Our public middle school also has a great reputation - Emerald Coast Middle School I have served on the boards of a few schools in this area - so happy to help with any specific questions.
This is an incredibly beautiful area and I can't imagine living anywhere else! There are lots of options for home buying - just depends on your wants/needs. I'm a real estate broker - so can help you with that too!