In My Neighborhood in 92311>Question Details

Cindy Coffee, Renter in San Bernardino County,...

i have a guide dog so why are the owners saying a deposit is needed when my guide dog is free?

Asked by Cindy Coffee, San Bernardino County, CA Sun Aug 1, 2010

Answers

2
From California Law: CIVIL CODE SECTION 54.3 [READS IN PART]:
[a] Every individual with a disability shall have the right to be accompanied by a guide dog, signal dog, or service dog, especially trained for the purpose, in any places specified in Section 54.1 without being required to pay an extra charge or security deposit for the guide dog, signal dog, or service dog. However, the individual shall be liable for any damage done to the premises or facilities by his or her dog.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 1, 2010
If the American Disabilities Act states that no fees should be charged for guide dogs then I would cite that report to your landlord. I was under the impression that this law provides that a landlord cannot discriminate again a visually impaired person and even if the apartment or condo does not allow pets a guide dog must be permitted to live in teh building but I was not aware that the pet fee would be affected. Check with your local enforcement office to see if it is a violation of the Act.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 1, 2010