In My Neighborhood in 92563>Question Details

Young, Other/Just Looking in Murrieta, CA

how much are we supposed to pay for melaroos. Does everyone in this area pay exactly the same amount? same size homes approx. and same development.

Asked by Young, Murrieta, CA Thu Oct 21, 2010

We are in Murrieta CA. 92563 area. Was the real estate agent responsible for telling us about a melaroos being present in this area?

Answers

5
Every track can be different. Some properties do pay for special assessments and other no don’t. Most home that are newer usually have some special assessments. If you have the address of the property that you are interested you can look up the tax information with all the assessment at https://taxpayments.co.riverside.ca.us/Search.aspx or if you like I am more that happy to help you look this up and let you know what the special assessments ( mella roos) are. When you look at the tax roll remember that that there are two payments a year. I hope this was helpful information. Thanks Pauline Woelky West Realty 951-536-5550
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 21, 2010
Form what I was taught in RE Sales Agent School & what I was taught in RE Broker School, the agent has a duty to tell you everything, even stuff they could not have known.
You can sue the agent, and some of them carry an insurance called ERRORS & OMISSIONS INSURANCE...Problem is if the insurance company can prove the agent was negligent, the insurance company won't pay for the agents mistake. You can file a complaint with The California Dept. of Real Estate/Real Estate Commissioner, but they do not retrieve your loss, they just punnish the agent with fines & jail-time if The DRE deems it bad enough. These lawsuits can drag on for 5 years, and cost you upwards of $30K. I would suggest going to see a lawyer who specializes in suing Real Estate Agents, ask if he will do it on a retainer. Most will probably say "NO". You can go to the Board of Realtors in your area, explain you situation and ask them if they will help you, but again I think the most they can do is discipline the agent, but no fines there...Shooting from the hip, I would look at what it costs you per month now to stay there and compare that to a non-Melaroos-house of exact comparison and add in costs of sales to sell your home & costs of buying the new home and see how many years it is going to take for you to break even on not having to pay the Melaroos Fees. It is a dirty shame the don't tell you, but I'll bet you there is a single sheet of paper in that ream of paper that you signed at closing saying you have been told you house has the Melaroos Fees on you house. Realtors used to do an ESTIMATED NET SHEET for the buyer & seller and disclose all the fees they knew of, and weird easements. Now a days they refuse to do that, they leave it to the lender to show you at the last minute. I hate it & it drives me nuts. This is the most insane Real estate market I've seen in my life time...........GETTIN_DUSTY
Hi Young,

"how much are we supposed to pay for melaroos"

Please visit this blog post that walks you through the easy process of finding this out online:
http://www.trulia.com/blog/steve_ornellas_mba_re_mastersgri/…

"Does everyone in this area pay exactly the same amount? same size homes approx. and same development."

Mello-Roos is a form of financing that can be used by cities, counties, and special districts (such as school districts) to finance major improvements and services within the district which might include schools, roads, libraries, police and fire protection services, or ambulance services. As Pauline & Stefan suggest, charges can vary by neighborhood/tract based on the "mix of benefits" provided by the Mello-Roos improvements/services.

"Was the real estate agent responsible for telling us about a melaroos being present in this area?"

Mello-Roos Districts are part of California's Mandatory Property Tax Disclosure law. Failure to disclose the presence of a Mello-Roos district opens the seller to non-disclosure litigation. If the Natural Hazard Report was provided by the Seller, the existence of Mello-Roos was likely contained. Personally, I would have pointed out the existence of the Mello-Roos before even showing the home by taking the steps detailed in the blog post above.

Best, Steve
Some newer developments have NO Mello Roos/CDF, some have more than one. The amounts are fixed for various amounts of years from the origional purchase date. The amounts vary from say $200 to over $4,000 a year.
Of course it is very important that you know this information up front prior to shopping for a home in any specific neighborhood.
You may see that some homes with high CFD's have lower asking prices.
I hope this helps.
Tracks can all be different and the best way is to have an agent pull that particular tax record and calculate it out for you. Newer tracts 2002 and up typically will have a higher Mello-Roos tax since builders started passing on school, road, and light bonds to the homeowners. Houses were selling so fast that buyers didn't care.

Some tracts were 1.9% (combined tax and mello-roos) while other tracts by another builder were 1.5% combined. So it can be a little tricky but plays a big role in your payment. I just had one buyer compare between a 1.9% and a 1.20% and it was the difference over over $15,000 in price to payment ratio.
Web Reference: http://www.stefanwest.com