Dede a Heiman, Other/Just Looking in San Mateo, CA

how do I calculate a lower property value based on comparable sales in my area? Sunnyside San Francisco.

Asked by Dede a Heiman, San Mateo, CA Thu Jul 8, 2010

This is to appeal my base home value. I chose 3 houses which sold in the first quarter of this year and chose 3 comps from same time in 2009.

Eileen Bermingham’s answer
Hi Dede--You can file an informal or formal appeal. Any filings between July 2-Sept 15th are intended to be formally appealed before the Assessment Appeals Board.

Here is the link that explains the process:

In either event, the best way to approach an appeal is to ask a Realtor to assist you with selecting the most accurate comps and then include that info in your appeal. I've assisted a number of people with this, so feel free to email me at and I can get to work.

Web Reference:
Hello Dede,

Best way is to have a Realtor do it for you. I do this for my clients all the time at no cost. If you like, you can contact me directly and I'd be happy to provide you with comps to appeal the taxes for your properties.

Kamal Randhawa

As Eric said look at the assessors site on My experience is that a letter from a Realtor is worth more than the home owners opinion. You can start any where you want but you might want to contact you agent and have them produce a comparable market analysis. They can also write a letter of value much like we do for estate planning purposes and other base value setting situations.

There is an agent in my office that used to sit on the tax assessement appeals board, now he works with people when they are appealing to the board.
Jed Lane, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA
Hi Dede

If you haven't done it yet, you should visit the assessors portion of They will be able to explain the process of appealing your property tax base. There are also deadlines, so you should check right away to see if you've missed the deadline for 2010-11 year taxes. My guess is that you have.

As far as value is concerned, sounds like you've already identified the 3 comparable sales you need. I'm not sure which the assessor will latch onto-likely the higher of them.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Web Reference: