In My Neighborhood in 30536>Question Details

Richard, Home Buyer in Longwood, FL

from the satellite view there are some structures all around the property at 2920 carteclay road , Ellijay , GA , are they pig barns , what do these

Asked by Richard, Longwood, FL Mon Nov 5, 2012

farms do with the waste , is it spread and left open or do they have to plow it under right after spreading? is the smell continuously in the air ?

Answers

6
Dan Parker’s answer
These are poultry houses around 2920 Lower Cartecay Rd . If you live near a poultry house there can be an odor. How frequently you might smell it would depend on how close you are, and the direction of the wind. The smell is most prevalent when the poultry houses are cleaned out every few months.
These rectangular structures are poultry houses. Properly operated poultry houses emit minimal odor. This is due to advancements in ventilation and drinking systems for poultry production houses that keep them relatively dry and thus free of any significant odor. In fact, it is not unusual to approach a modern, well managed poultry house without experiencing any or only minimal odors. The drier conditions in the houses also ensures little or no fly production associated with growing chickens. Occasionally, wet conditions can develop in a poultry house as a result of improperly functioning drinking or ventilation systems, but these situations can generally be easily corrected. These situations may occur more frequently with breeder and layer farms than with broiler farms because of the extended period of operation with birds in the houses. I'm a native of Gilmer County and when I hear someone ask about chicken houses "smelling".....I let them know this smell is called "money"!
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 11, 2012
There happen to be some empty barns near this property also, now used to store equipment or hay. If they don't have the new silo type feeders and about 4 big fans along the side, they may not be producing chickens anymore. You may want to drive by the next time you are in the area to satisfy your curiosity. Some chicken producers have gotten out of that business and gone to cattle instead or just no livestock at all due to changes in environmental requirements.
Pig/chicken farms ALWAYS have an odor, particularly in the warm summer months. Farmers often times spread the manure on their pasture which intensives the odor!
thanks folks , I'm glad they are not pig barns, they are rank !
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 11, 2012
Being a native of Iowa, I can relate to that thought!!
Flag Mon Nov 12, 2012
when the poultry houses are cleaned out, very often the material is spread on nearby pastures as fertilizer. Sometimes it might be sold to someone else for same purpose, but usually the chicken farmer or his close neighbors benefit from this free enhancement to the soil. Unfortunately, that also brings some flies to the area for 2-3 weeks. It has been said that one can get used to it in time and since it is not continuous, but rather periodic, many people tolerate it well.