zeanicia, Other/Just Looking in 80249

do you think we could use a little more entertainment for the teens of the community??

Asked by zeanicia, 80249 Thu Nov 7, 2013

Answers

5
Absolutely! Try getting them involved with the local rec center. Here is the link to the center's class schedule: http://www.denvergov.org/RecPrograms/
You bet. I think the more options they have to stay entertained, the less they will have to come up with their own options.
Yes! Absolutely! The more the merrier I like what some of the skateparks have done for my area in particular. it's great to keep them active in something they think is cool.
Zeanicia,

Good post below. There are several churches in the area and also not that far away in Aurora. It may be good to have some sponsored activities specifically for teens at the Recreation Center, the swimming pool, and some golf events at the great golf courses there. Maybe the new school would allow for some sponsored teen activities as well.

Robert McGuire ASR
Broker/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
Direct - 303-669-1246
I think every community should have more teen safe entertainment venues. I think our young people are better served by having a safe and fun places to go than they are by leaving them to cars, unsupervised parties, and roaming the malls or streets.

The challenge is - where does the money come from to fund these places? Most communities are already struggling, so raising property taxes is not the answer. The truth is, I think we already have the places, at least some of them. What we need is more community involvement to provide adult supervision and leadership. There are plenty of schools and churches that sit empty and dark a lot of the time. Why not put them to use?

Our church offers several youth programs, retreats, music ministries, dances, etc. I would start by checking out those options in your community. And no, they're not "all religion, all the time'. Many of them just offer a place to hang out and do fun things with like minded people of faith in a supervised environment.

Utilizing schools for these venues presents some challenges, but they should be made available. After all, they are public places, paid for by public tax dollars. I would encourage you to visit with your local middle schools and high schools to see how accessible they are. And don't give up if at first they are reluctant. Go to the PTCO - get them on your side!

So that just leaves the entertainment part of the equation. That should be the easy part. I've never been to a school, or a church, that didn't already have a bunch of talented teens just looking for a reason to perform. Put them to work. It's good for them, and it's good for the people being entertained.

Good luck in your community!