In My Neighborhood in 96740>Question Details

pcleveque, Home Buyer in Hilo, HI

coqui frogs, do they coak in this neighborhood as bad as other parts of the island? I need my sleep.

Asked by pcleveque, Hilo, HI Mon Apr 30, 2012

Answers

11
Coqui are all over the island and getting worse. Some neighborhoods have stalwart individuals that work the neighborhood to get rid of them.

The local Government basically gave up - as with all the other invasive species - too much discussion up front, too many opinions about how cute/musical the species is, too many committees and minimal but very ineffective action.
talk about the hunters coming with all their dogs!! killing. taking down fences. Police do nothing.

Scared me when I saw a teenager all full of pig blood carring it as I was @ local cafe, I LEFT.
yes, 96780, DOES TO HAVE THE FROG! UP MT. TOO. DOWN BELOW VERY LOUD. EAR PLUGS.
I have a friend who lives in Kukuihaele near Waipio Valley. They are not bad there so no trouble sleeping. But I've heard them at sunset in Kea'au and holy cow they can be loud! In North Kohala the community anti-Coqui group is a serious and organized swat team. The frogs have been held at bay there. As has been stated earlier, 96740 is a huge area. I've never heard the near jet engine roar in Kona that I've heard in Hilo. Pick a neighborhood you like in Kona and on the weekend walk around and chat with the neighbors. I'd pick a neighborhood with an organized swat team!
FROGS HAVE TAKEN OVER, AND NO $$$ TO GET RID OF THEM NOW, EVEN THE MOVIE COMPANIES DO NOT SHOOT ON THIS ISLAND.
Flag Tue May 1, 2012
Flag Tue May 1, 2012
Cocui frogs love warm wet areas. While there have been scattered reports of their existence on the west side of the Big Island, if you find a dryer region such as South Kohala, you should have a pretty good chance of getting your much needed rest. Best to stay away from places with a lot of water features close by though. I've been a Big Island resident on the west side for 38 years and have only ever seen one. Here is a map of coqui frog sitings I live in Waikoloa, S.Kohala...Let's talk story!
Plenty of rain for 2 weeks in 96780. frogs screaming a storm.
Flag Tue May 1, 2012
Flag Tue May 1, 2012
Aloha,
Some area in Hilo are as bad as anywhere in the islands in terms of coqui noise. In regards to the volume of noise in zip code 96740 you really need to be more specific. As one agent mentioned, 96740 is a huge area. Some subdivision are on the case and work hard to remove any coqui as soon as one makes a sound. Other areas, no one is doing anything about them. At this time nowhere in Kona is as bad as Hilo. That being said you really need to check out any area (during the evening) where you are thinking of buying. Best not to rely on anyone's opinion as noise level is really a subjective issue. One thing is for sure is coqui's are spreading rapidly all over the island and unless you are in a desert climate you can count on them showing up one day or another.
Hilo is horrid. Soon as it is dark. decibels are so very loud.
Flag Tue May 1, 2012
There are neighborhoods in Kailua-Kona that have coqui frogs. It seems like they prefer higher elevations because it is a wetter habitat than the coast but I have heard them at lower elevations too. As mentioned in another post, if someone brings in a plant with a frog, it is just a matter of time before there are more. It will be difficult to stop them from spreading in the future. You could clear them from every yard in a neighborhood except one and that person could stop you because he might like them.
We have a few coqui frogs here and there but nothing like Hilo. There are some infestations in some Kona neighborhoods so just ask.
Which neighborhood? 96740 covers all of North Kona, roughly 63 miles of coastline from Keauhou to Waikoloa. Coqui have infested many areas in North Kona. However, most areas are coqui free. However, it only takes one frog to do the damage. My subdivision down by the water was coqui-free until a neighhbor brought in plants from Hilo. One frog came along for the ride. The second night, all the guys were out, dressed in fatigues, armed with flashlights and lime, trying to hunt him down. They failed at the first attempt, but got him the second night. Best to make a nightime visit to any home in Hawaii you're considering for purchase.
Coqui Frogs are a big problem in many areas. I don't believe you will have a problem in 96740. Visit us at: http://www.KonaKau.com