In My Neighborhood in 77044>Question Details

Elaine, Other/Just Looking in Houston, TX

can you be paid for being on a hoa?

Asked by Elaine, Houston, TX Fri Aug 20, 2010

Answers

4
The answer is no. Almost all Texas HOAs are nonprofit corporations governed by the Texas Nonprofit Corporation Law, which prohibits directors from being paid for their service, other than as reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses. The best resource I am aware of for answering questions regarding HOAs is a book called Texas Homeowners Association Law, which is a legal reference book written for non-lawyers on all of the laws that apply to HOAs in Texas. You can find more information about the book at http://www.TexasHOABook.com. I have the book and have found it to be an invaluable resource.
Web Reference: http://www.TexasHOABook.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 3, 2011
Dear Elaine,

You can either get paid or not; will be up to your HOA bylaws, which by the way I encourage you to review. You may also ask at the next meeting to be considered as a candidate for the board of directors and this way actively improve living quality of this neighborhood. For instance Kingslake Subdivision located in zip code area 77044, CIA Services Property Management Co. was enagaged and substituted prior Mgmt Co as a result of an HOA decision by the board of directors.

Best regards to you and stay involved.

Mario Romero
Broker
Elaine,
I have had experience on an HOA board and my husband as had experience being on a MUD Board of Directors. I didn't get paid, but my husband did due to the particulars in the resolution of the organizations.
Are you a homeowner? If so, you have a great interest in being a part of support for your community.
It is such a worthwhile service opportunity and you can meet some very nice people and establish many friendships through the years.
Your desire of commitment would let you know how to proceed.
Contact your BOD in your neighborhood and get involved! Sometimes you can be in the right place to become a part of BOD because of the community needs when individuals move, resign for personal reasons and vacate due to other circumstances. Getting the number of votes needed to govern properly is important.
If your interest is being a property manager for the community -- yes you can be paid, but must have some creditials or be in a management company situation. Remember to watch for conflict of interest in whatever you do for the sake of all involved. The BOD does elect or select a property management company to serve on behalf of the communities business responsibilities that must be carried out on a daily basis. Budgets, events, maintenance, deed restriction enforcement all are under the direction of BOD for a community.

This can be such a great learning experience!
All the best in your decision if you need to make one soon.
Nancy Suarez
nwsuarez@garygreene.com
You can't even be on an HOA. You can be a member of an HOA, which puts you in an HOA, and you can be a member of the Board of Directors, in which case you would be on the Board.

Hope this helps.