In My Neighborhood in 11793>Question Details

Kindagirl, Other/Just Looking in 11793

can a garage permit stand for a shed permit that was build on property. they never built garage.

Asked by Kindagirl, 11793 Tue Aug 24, 2010

I found out that there was a permit taken out in 1938 tol build a garage on my property. They never built the structure. However, they put up an all wood shed instead. Do i need another permit for this shed. I live in town of hempstead, nassau county, ny

Contact Town Of Hempstead Building Department 516-538-8500
Andy gave you a good answer. I thought of one more point. The permit for the shed will be based on 2010 city ordinances, not 1938. The 2010 ordinance on sheds may have side line setback and rear line set back measurements, size, materals, etc. So, check the ordinance on sheds,before you request a permit. You may find differences. So, rather than a permit, you may need to ask for a variance.
A permit for a garage will not suffice for a permit for a shed. What is most important is not the ermit but the "CO or CC" "Certificate of Completion". After obtaining a permit which grants permission to build, a building inspector will return after work is complete, to make sure the structure was built to code. At that time he will issue the CC which would then make the structure legal. If selling a home the buyers title report will show any open permits such as for a garage, so it is important to inform the town that no garage has been built and that the permit needs to be closed.
For accurate information as it applies to your situation, check with the town's building department--see link--
You would need a permit for the shed. You also need to let the building department know that the garage was never built. Also check your taxes to make sure you are not being taxed for the garage.