In My Neighborhood in 46373>Question Details

Cyd Gajewski, Home Buyer in 46373

are there restrictions for fences for backyards in Lantern Woods?

Asked by Cyd Gajewski, 46373 Sun Nov 22, 2009

Answers

3
cyd, from time to time, there will always be someone that wants to do something with their house or parcel of land that will get them into trouble, if they don't think of it before they buy the house. Those things we're talking about are called covenants. Things like sq.ft. or types of houses, maybe restrictions for fences in backyards? maybe you want an extra garage or room? that means you have to make the deal contingent on the mayor going along with what you want. otherwise, you really are taking your chances.scott 219-588-6787
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 13, 2009
I can tell you a permit is necessary and that costs $25. It takes 2 business days to issue and must have the name of contractor doing the work. Seven more rules after this disclaimer...

When a sub-division is new, covenants and restrictions are real easy to find out about but of course Lantern Woods is not new. Once the builders have all left and all the homes are in place, slowly but surely those restrictions magically disappear and you only have to consider the towns restrictions.

Town of St John requirements:

Maximum height of 6 ft from ground level
It may not protrude into the front yard - for corner lot call "building and planning" at 219-365-5301
If you put fencing on an easement and work must be done YOU have to take down fence and put it back up
Must call and have your utility locations marked prior to work
Must have a copy of the plat of survey showing fence in respect to property lines
Permit must be displayed in window where work is being done
Structure must pass mandatory inspections.

I may not always HAVE the answer but I can always FIND the answer. Please call with any further questions.

Pamela Howell
Keller Williams Realty Leaders
219-201-0500

HowellHomeTeam.com
I am not sure if there are any restrictions on fences still in place. If there is a specific property you are interested in, I can research it for you and get back to you. Feel free to contact me at gina@ginabombin.com or through my website.
Web Reference: http://www.GinaBombin.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 22, 2009