Newowner, Home Buyer in Alpharetta, GA

Will power lines behind house have any effect on the home value and the resale?

Asked by Newowner, Alpharetta, GA Thu Oct 15, 2009

I am looking into a home which has a basement but it is behind a power line of georgia power.it is about 40 - 50 feet away from the house living room.

Answers

10
my next house group of flats have erected their transformer on compound wall with out setback.is it airight to do so. I am bothered radition
As an Accredited Buyer's Agent, I have worked with many buyers. The general concensus is to avoid buying into any negatively perceived attribute. Power Lines are a strong negative as well as unsightly. These homes are often attractively priced, but they are often difficult to sell. There are plenty of great deal out there. Please avoid this one!
Leave it alone.

I've been an appraiser for over 20 years and power lines (and cell towers lately) have been a chronic issue. Dan hit it well - I've been around them and have seen my truck pick up a charge, to the point where arcs will form. I've chatted with folks that tell me they have interference with electrical appliances in their homes as well. You can hear them popping, especially when wet...and the wind whipping through them makes for a steady howl. As he also said, toss in maintenance and the public perception....and obviously don't forget the wonderful views. They have a significant demonstrated negative impact on value and marketability.

But....if you're a Godzilla fan they might be just the ticket. If you need additional info or anything related to buying, drop me a line -

Hank Miller, SRA, ABR
Associate Broker & Certified Appraiser
Prudential GA Realty
678-428-8276
Over the past few years there have been more and more stories coming out about the radiation that is given off by EMF ( Electro-Magnetic Fields) Some people swear they cause undesireable health effects. Almost no one likes the idea of the looks of those lines. Plus if bad weather comes and the lines break could they damage your house or stuff? How would you like to look out back and see those lines on the ground arcing and sparking? Most people just say no instead of accepting those problems.

Some people swear they can feel tingling from the power lines. We know that electricity does leak. It does give off magnetic fields. And some people think that means it could cause cancer or other health problems. So yes, because of peoples perceptions ( real or not ) the price of a house with power lines that close or even within a few hundred feet could be negatively affected.
Power lines are always a factor when they are close to a home. Buyers avoid them like the plague. I sold a listing recently with power lines beside them, but the sellers had to significantly reduce the sales price, taking the power lines into account. I always encourage my buyers to consider the resale value of a home they are looking to purchase and how hard it will be to sell later down the road. Power lines, LP Siding, retention ponds, steep driveways, the list goes on and on. When I held an Open House for the house I mentioned earlier, I watched cars slow down look at the power lines, turn around in the driveway and drive off.

I'd be more than happy to assist you with your home search if you are not currently represented.

Jodi Smith
Atlanta Real Estate Agent
Keller Williams Realty Consultants – Roswell, Georgia
678-763-6025
jodismith@kw.com
Tweet Me: http://twitter.com/JodiRSmith
There are homes that i know about in Alpharetta... in Crooked Creek, Oakside at Hamby...... and several other great homes that are close to power lines and will continue to make those homes very hard to sell. In this market, don't buy a home with known objections unless your ready to either: 1. Live there forever or 2. Take a loss when you sell. As always, it depends on the particular house.... but I have had over 25 listings in the last year and half...... and if there are unresolved objections..... the market is not a kind place.

http://www.ExpectMoreNow.com
I often tell my homebuyers that these homes are often good deals and are the lowest priced homes in the neighborhood due to the fact that most buyers regard power lines as a negative. They can earn equity on the home depending on how long they plan on staying, but they will need to plan on selling it low, it will never be the highest price home in the neighborhood, because the negative factor can't be changed. Remember, the are 3 important selling factors in real estate are: location, condition, and price. In this case, the location can't be changed, only the price and condition, when it comes time to resale.
Web Reference: http://www.jangelder.com
No more than a sewage plant, nuclear waste facility, or a chicken farm. It's relative to a buyer's perspective, but would you buy it? It's going to take a special price to get someone to buy, and therefore, sell as well. Just saying...
Yes, Newowner, power lines will normally negatively affect the appraisal of a home. How adversely they affect the value depends on several factors. Where is this property located?
It won't be a factor to ALL potential buyers, but many will either find another house to buy, or want a discount off the price to compensate. Those with children may not want to raise them under/near power lines...

Since you're asking here, I assume you're not working with an agent you're committed to. Whether you are looking to buy or sell, contact me for trusted advice, market knowledge, and strong negotiation.

Tina Vliet, Broker
Berube & Company, REALTORS
Alpharetta, GA 30004
770-365-4977
Tina@BerubeRealtors.com