In My Neighborhood in 06614>Question Details

elmary55, Home Buyer in Stratford, CT

Why doesn't the listing say that this home has NO FURNACE OR HOT WATER HEATER??? It also has TERMITES!

Asked by elmary55, Stratford, CT Mon Feb 27, 2012

Answers

4
If it is obvious to the agent that the home doesn't have a furnace or a hot water heater, then it should have been disclosed in the listing or at least on the the Connecticut Property Disclosure Form. As for the termites, that is something that will be uncovered when a home inspection is done.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 29, 2012
Did they list the termites as being part of the house but didn't mention the furnace or water heater? I wonder if they also did not say it has a swimming pool and ocean view, because it probably doesn't. Why list what a house does not have, we usually list what it DOES have.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 27, 2012

If you are dealing with an agent, the agent would have shown you the listing
via the MLS (multiple listing service). In the listing there may be language that
the property is "as is" or a note to see the addendum, where a note may have
been made to say that the house is as is, or does not have a hot water heater
or furnace...
If this house was a short sale or being sold by the current owner, they might have made
a note of it in the disclosures of the property when asked if there was anything
wrong with the furnace or the hot water heater... that is where you would have
seen the information.
If this property was owned by the bank, you would not see that on the disclosures because
technically the bank does not have to fill out disclosures because they never actually lived in
the house...
Regarding termites, same goes there... plus, a person may not disclose that they have had termite damage
because unless they have had an inspection, they have no knowledge of termites... this would be uncovered during an inspection, or if you saw the house and know what to look for - you may have seen it yourself.

I am always curious how a person steps into a situation:
Were you using a Realtor?
Was this a short-sale or foreclosure?
Did you have access to the actual listing, or did you see it on a secondary online site?

Thanks!
Steph
When someone wants to sell their car, do you think their add should read:

1988 Olds, 225,000 miles, rusted, needs exhaust system and tires. $2,500

There is plenty of opportunities for the negatives.
You are talking about $5-$10,000 repairs on a house that sells for (what; $500,000).
Maybe it needs a new kitchen too, ($40-$60,000)

Good luck and may God bless
The ad should be reasonable. I don't care if you puff or accentuate the positive, but don't be coy. I'll know pretty soon it needs a furnace, and unless there is something that really has to be seen to be appreciated I'm not going to go out and say "This house is over-priced by $10k for the furnace, but since I've already spent the time coming out here I'll make an offer."

Steph, we're working with a local buyer's agent, but it's a relocation so don't have a lot of time to look at houses. We research on listings like here on Trulia and send them to the agent, or he sends us potentials which we also look at here. (Sometimes we've driven by before he shows us, and we've known right away we don't need to bother seeing it.)
Tim, one expects a house to have things that make it habitable. Most don't say it has a roof (exception, if it's new) but if I don't see the roof mentioned I'll assume it's there but not new.
Flag Mon Jun 25, 2012