Taxidj88, Home Buyer in Dallas, TX

Why are there no basements in the area? All foundations are either slab or pier and beam.

Asked by Taxidj88, Dallas, TX Sun Sep 2, 2012

Answers

5
Kim Nwachukwu, Texas Realtor’s answer
Kenneth and Lynn are both right. North Texas consists of a large cap of clay on top of the earth and we have a high water table. There are a select few multi-million mansions in the area with true basements, but in those homes money was no object. Building a basement here just isn't economically feasible for most builders and most homeowners.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 2, 2012
Clay shrinks when dry and expands when wet. Moving soil exerts pressure on buried structures like the floor and walls of a basement.

Very few homes have basements if so they are Million +

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
Multimillion Dollar Sales Producer
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com

Follow me on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/lynn911dallas
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 2, 2012
Our clay soil expands and contracts too much and builders don't want to spend the money to build them and buyers don't want to pay to have them.

Kenny
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 2, 2012
I'm, from MI. Clay is GREAT for basements builders just don't build because you will BUY W/O basement that's ALL!!!
Also, there are more basements up north because back in the day, they needed to put coal in the furnaces and the furnaces back then were so large they would take up half the basement. The trucks would back up with the coal and let it flow down the chutes to people's basements...but this all happened more or less north of the Mason-Dixon line since we have a more temperate climate in TX, in addition to our high water tables. However, in some places of Texas you would have to have used dynamite to get through the rock it is so hard. When I grew up in Del Rio, TX, my dad had to take a pick-ax to the ground just so he could plant a tree! In the Dallas area, some of the older mansions such as in Highland Park have basements, but they are really high dollar.