In My Neighborhood in Avalon>Question Details

Donise1, Home Owner in Bakersfield, CA

Why are semi-custom homes located in Olive Park on Irwindale Ave. compared to Avalon tract homes? The comparison is not equal (i.e. apples to oranges)

Asked by Donise1, Bakersfield, CA Mon Dec 5, 2011

Irwindale ave. is located in Olive Park rather than the Avalon tract of homes. The comparisons are not equal. For example, the homes on Cherry Valley in the Avalon tract are in no way comparable to the semi-custom homes in the Olive Park neighborhoods. I do not understand why our home in Olive Park is compared to those in Avalon (e.g. tract homes vs. custom homes with differnent builders). Just would like the discrepancy addressed in sites such as Zillow and Trulia. I understood this somewhat back in 2005 when the house was built and this area was new. There were not a lot of comparisons back then--now there are within Olive Park. We have no interest in selling our home and do not want any one to contact regarding such. I simply want to understand the logic of placing us in Avalon neighborhood instead of Olive Park (like the sign reads as you drive down our street.

Answers

3
Dee is exactly right. "Zillow and Trulia just go by location, age, size. etc. In other words--they go from the statistics. They have no way of knowing the difference between Oliver Park North and The Avalon tract. Hope this helps." I lived on Irwindale and have done loans in the Avolon Tract. Just imagine if you are the designer of the web site trying to get foot traffic to warrant adverisement. It 's all off statistics to give us an idea if everything is perfect. I love those sites but take with a grain of salt! Valerie is right with "If you are trying to establish the market value of your home just because you are curious, then look at the recent sales (last 6 months) within your neighborhood. Find the homes that have similar number of bedrooms and bathrooms and comparable size... then you'll find the market value of your home."
I am familiar with both areas and you are correct, there really is no comparison. The Avalon homes were mostly built by one builder. Olive Park North had a diversity of custom and semi-custom builders. There was also a vast difference in the original sales prices of these two areas because of the quality of construction, the features, the size of the lots, price of the land, etc. Most realtors who were in real estate when these homes were constructed and sold know the differences betyween these NW Bakersfield neighborhoods. It is still easy to seel the differences when you drive through these two developed neighborhoods. When I do a Comparative Market Analysis I always take these things into consideration and compare "apples to apples". My nephew lived on Irwindale in an awesome home. Great area. Zillow and Trulia just go by location, age, size. etc. In other words--they go from the statistics. They have no way of knowing the difference between Oliver Park North and The Avalon tract. Hope this helps.

Dee
Sites like Trulia and Zillow are not used by the real estate appraisal industry... they are for marketing and public information. In real estate, homes are compared by proximity and likeness. As a Realtor, if I am comparing homes in order to establish a listing price or an offering price, I look at homes within 1/4 mile. Then the size of the home and the lot, along with amenities and number of bedrooms and bathrooms are taken into account.
I wouldn't be concerned for a moment by what homes Trulia or Zillow is comparing yours to... They don't have any influence on the value of your home. If you are trying to establish the market value of your home just because you are curious, then look at the recent sales (last 6 months) within your neighborhood. Find the homes that have similar number of bedrooms and bathrooms and comparable size... then you'll find the market value of your home.

Have a good evening,
Valerie