leticia_hany…, Home Buyer in Freeport, NY

Why are houses so cheap in Freeport?

Asked by leticia_hanysz, Freeport, NY Sat Feb 16, 2013

My husband and I are moving from Queens to Long Island. Right now we are in the process of reasearching neighborhoods and villages and we came across Freeport. We still dont undersant the prices for houses being so cheap in Freeport comparing to other villages around such as Malverne and Lynbrook, since it seems such a nice village and with good school system... (are schools really good?)

Answers

8
I've lived in Freeport (north of Sunrise, west of Long Beach Ave.) for 24 years.
The homes here are better values because it is a truly multicultural village and because of some lingering effects of racial housing discrimination from many years ago.

Yes, the schools are really good. I had three kids go through the schools from pre-K to graduating from the high school, and they are all in college now, so I can tell you it is a fun, diverse school district with very good administrators.
The schools have some outstanding music, arts and athletic programs.

Taxes aren't low (this is Long Island, after all), but the value of what you pay in Freeport school taxes vs. what you get in quality is one of the best on Long Island.
In other words, you can pay a LOT more in taxes in other villages, but not get much better schools!

As other posters have said, though, be careful what area you buy a home in.
Freeport floods on the south side and the North Side borders a dangerous neighborhood. By Sunrise it is busy and very commercial.

North of Sunrise and up to a few blocks North of Merrick before you get too close to water is nice.

Watch out for sneakers hanging over electrical wires as that is where the drug dealers hang out.
Leticia,

The word cheap is subjective and as real estate professionals we are unable to have this kind of discussion with you, it can be considered discriminative :-( If you are looking for a buyer's agent to help you with your home search in Nassau County , please give me a call at your convenience and perhaps we can meet for a one time consultation.

Janet Nation, CBR
Sailing Home Realty
Direct: 646-321-9649
Office: 516-377-4760
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
north of atlantic , south of merrick and west of guy lombardo is great to live . no flood and low crime and beautiful charming homes. Taxes are fairly high on long island though. good luck
Thank you very much Antoinette!
THE SCHOOL SYSTEM IS VERY GOOD IN FREEPORT. HOWEVER, BE CAREFULL OF WHERE YOU BUY YOUR HOME IN FREEPORT. CERTAIN AREAS ARE FLOOD ZONES AND PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO SELL LOW TO GET OUT OF THE FLOOD ZONE.
Thank you Alizao.
I checked some of the things.. schools are 8 or 9 out of 10! Seems good to me :)
It's all about the school districts, the crime rate and the makeup of the neighborhood. Check out the ratings of those elements in the specific area.