In My Neighborhood in 46825>Question Details

Michael, Other/Just Looking in 46815

What to do when a house has led paint? Is this house liveable or by law even rentable?

Asked by Michael, 46815 Thu Nov 5, 2009

Help the community by answering this question:

Answers

5
Lead paint was used up until 1976. It was used to provide brighter colors and to make the paint more durable. It has since been discovered that lead paint was a health hazard to children. Not that kids were eating paint chips, but the cast-off dust around windows and sills were being ingested by crawling toddlers causing learning disabilities.
There are various methods of handling the situation, from complete removal, which is very costly, or encapsulation of the lead paint, which refers to painting over lead surfaces with a specialized paint. Children are at extreme risk in a home with lead paint, but adults are hardly affected. If you are the landlord of a home that has lead paint in it, you must make full disclosure to potential renters. Sellers would need to also make full disclosure using a document called a lead-based paint disclosure statement that pertains to any home built prior to 1976. You must assume that any home built before then was at one point painted with a lead-based paint. There are kits you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes that let you test for lead-based paint. They are cheap and pretty accurate. It is worth checking into if children are involved. No doubt about it.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 10, 2014
Yes a home is liveable if it has led paint. A led based paint disclosure must be filled out and presented at the time or sale or rent.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 10, 2014
Our families all lived and survived in homes that had lead paint prior to about 1976. It has since been linked to neurological problems. For the most part if you do not eat or lick it you can live with it. But the smart person removes all of the lead paint. That way they no longer have any worries for themselves or for future buyers when they decide to sell.

The bigger question is if the house still has lead paint does it have insulation, energy efficient windows, an efficient heating/cooling system, and other electrical items that eat energy. Consider that an old furnace if replaced can pay for itself in under 10 years when replaced with a new energy efficient one. And insulation can cut heating bills in half.

If lead paint is a worry find out how much it would cost to remove. Then once you know that make an offer if you are still interested KNOWING that cost will be added to your offer.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 5, 2009
Great website Emily! I just learned a few things myself about lead based paint!

Michael, if there is anything I can help you with please don't hesitate to call. My wife and I are both full time Realtors in Fort Wayne and would love to work with you. Thanks and have a great day!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 5, 2009
The house is liveable, but there could be possible treat for harm. Here is a website that might answer your question best.

Please, let me know if I can help with anything else.

Emily Alderin
773.642.9516
emily.alderin@bairdwarner.com
Web Reference: http://www.epa.gov/lead/
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 5, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer