In My Neighborhood in 97055>Question Details

kimbliss103, Home Owner in Burbank, CA

What's it like during the dead of winter? Do you get more than 2 feet of snow annually? Does it rain a lot? Is it humid during the summer?

Asked by kimbliss103, Burbank, CA Fri Feb 10, 2012

Answers

4
Great Question but here goes !

I have lived in Oregon since l952 and rarely do we get over maybe six inches, accumulated
during the winter months.

The closer you are to Mt. Hood and the higher elevations .. the more you can anticipate
a possible snow fall. Usually it does not last for more than a day or so.

Upon occasion we have had a 'major' snow event however all is taken in stride and actually is quite fun !

Most all winter are wet .. The annual rainfall is something like 42 inches per year .. with rain from Oct. thru the winter into the spring .. ending in June / July. Indian summers are the usual.

During the dead of winter .. it will usually rain .. with periods of no rain. Bring a hat !

Humid .. no .. not even like the east coast or midwest .. it's really quite pleasant.

Hope that helps ..

Doug

Douglas M. Bragg, Broker
Coldwell Banker Seal
503-826-9207
The other guys did a good job of answering this question. It rains far more than it snows. It is mostly cloudy from mid-fall thru late spring. When buying a home take a good look @ the roof and water drainage on and around the property. Western Oregon has many seasonal creeks, check your proximity to those. You are picking a nice area.
I am a weather nerd and have followed the weather since I was a child. I have lived in the Portland Oregon area for over 25 years and I can tell you the weather here is very mild due to being so close to the Pacific Ocean. Our winters are pretty mild with the stormy season generally beginning in early fall, mid to late October. We typically see rainy periods with 20-30mph winds possible and 70+ mph winds on the Oregon coast. It is not uncommon to get several of these storms throughout the winter. If rain is something that you hate then Portland is not the place for you. We typically will get at least one East wind event during our winter season. What this means is it will be cold, sunny and windy, especially windy on the East side of Portland. If we do get snow, again, very hard to get due to the warm Pacific Ocean being so close, it is thanks to the Gorge. Cold, dry East wind funnels down the Gorge and will combine with some moisture off of the coast or a cold front dropping down from the North. Generally speaking the moisture usually runs out before it is cold enough to be snow. The last time Portland saw 2 feet of snow was in December of 2008. Keep in mind this is extremely rare to see here in Portland and can be view as a once in 25 year event. Again, we generally have mild winters and while we have gone several winters without seeing snow, it is not out of the question for us to get 1 or 2 snow events a winter with a few inches of snow. As for the humidity, it is not an issue here most summers. I have been in the South and it is no where near what you would see in Texas, Louisiana or Florida. We can get humid if we get a South wind but again, that generally does not happen in the summer time. With that being said of the Portland area, Sandy can receive more snow as they are roughly 1000 feet in elevation, depending on which part of Sandy you are in. They generally don't get as much East wind as Portland but can see a few more snow events. While Portland may see 1-2 inches from a storm during the winter, Sandy may see 3-4 inches. As for the humidity, just like Portland it remains very low generally speaking. Just for reference, Sandy is 28 miles East of downtown Portland. Also, I had a client move here from LA a few years back and he is pleased with the weather. He does miss all of the sunny days he had down in LA but this area has other bonuses that he was willing to give up for the sun. Lastly, and this is nothing against the agent who posted this in their answer, but weather.com is only good for current conditions. All of their forecasts for this area are strictly based off of computer models without any human input. Due to this they are generally incorrect, especially during the winter. Please let me know if you have any other weather questions for our area.
Kimbliss - Try http://www.weather.com for answers to your questions.