In My Neighborhood in 98248>Question Details

Kellymcollins, Home Buyer in Blaine, WA

What is the property crime like in this area? I see the stats, but in reality are most homes being broken into?

Asked by Kellymcollins, Blaine, WA Mon Jan 23, 2012

Answers

7
When it comes to any safety/crime related issues, it's always best to contact the local police department with all your questions, hear all there is to hear firsthand. If unfamiliar with the area do revisit more than once and at different times of day, possibly chat with locals/neighbors. Real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods.
http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/
https://www.crimereports.com/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 23, 2012
Home Buyer:

Now that you have reviewed the stats the best advice I can give you is to visit the local police, fire, and chamber of commerce. They will answer your questions honestly and give you a feel for whether this is the right neighborhood for you. Best
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 23, 2012
I'm originally from California and now live in Ferndale. I don't worry about locking my car or sometimes my door. There's not really a ton of crime and not really an area you'd call "bad".
I have lived in Whatcom County for eighteen years after living in Las Vegas, San Francisco, and growing up in New York City. I have to say that this is the only place that I have ever lived, where as a woman I feel totally safe. I will return to my car, alone at night without giving it a thought. Everywhere else I've lived, or visit I would be looking over my shoulder. Violent crime against strangers here is a rarity.
I have heard that the property crime statistics appear to be high because the large student population has many petty crimes that are reported in with the statistics I.E. someone enters a dorm room and steals a stereo, a bicycle is stolen etc.. Also, I do believe that in areas where many vacation homes are unoccupied during certain times of the year, there are some break ins. To me, all of this pales in relation to living in most others areas.
Thank you for your input. I will check with the sherriffs dept and get the stats per neighborhood. We are researching this area to relocate and we are not familiar with any of the neighborhoods. Looking at sky view area, artist drive area and liberty park so far. Love Sandy point but have ruled out due to other factors.

Thank you.
Dear Kelly;

You can see neighborhood stats as presented by the Whatcom County Sheriff's department, and you can focus on the areas you're interested in in that 98248 ZIP code. I have sold many homes in the Ferndale area, and the crime rate in general in the Ferndale area is similar to that of other unincorporated areas, or as in the city of Ferndale itself. You may find crime rates in certain segments of 98248 to be higher in certain areas within this ZIP code.

I would have to think, based on many years in Whatcom County, that MOST homes are NOT being broken into. But, if one compares crime rates per vacant homes versus crime rates per unoccupied homes, in just about any area that I've ever been to or lived in you will see a higher rate of theft or burglary in vacant homes.

What part of the 98248 ZIP code area are you concerned with?

Rob Merhaut
Remax Whatcom County
Can you define a specific area about you want to know the crime rate. Of course there is always a risk at the moment of buying property, and if you are facing such kind of a problem and have doubt then i would suggest you to contact with an authenticated company which is providing reliable services in this field.