Margrethe, Renter in College Station, TX

What is the neighborhood like around Georgia ave?

Asked by Margrethe, College Station, TX Tue Mar 19, 2013

We're moving to CS in August and looking at a duplex there. We have two small kids and want a safe, quiet (as you can get in a college town!) place where we'd feel safe while my husband is at school

Answers

2
holly’s answer
You probably don't want any of the "state streets" in College Station. When I was in school (with small children also), I lived in the Oaks area in Bryan. I have also lived in the Southwood Valley area of College Station and I currently live near the hospital and Blinn College in Bryan. I still have one child at home. All three areas are family friendly and on/near a bus route to the university.

Bryan is a little more affordable than College Station, but I agree with Aggie98 - anything under about $700-800/month can be kind of sketchy.
Georgia street is not an area I would feel safe living in, especially with kids. But your level of comfort and mine could be different. In Google, do a search for "Georgia St. College Station, TX" and look at the Google Earth street view of the neighborhood - you'll see tires in yards, debris on the curb and junker cars.

Rent is really high in CS, so anything under $800/mo is usually a dump or in a bad neighborhood. Be weary of duplexes, they usually indicate run down neighborhoods or high volumes of college students. The duplexes are usually very close together and don't offer much in the ways of privacy or yards.

Just north of Georgia and Holleman, closer to campus (south of campus), are some nice and safer homes in the historic area around Brison Park.

Stay away from anything that says it's in Northgate! (north of campus and Dixie Chicken area) There are frequent crimes of people being held up at knife-point and gun-point there! Usually in the wee hours of the morning when students are leaving the bars, but still, not a place I would ever live.

Directly east of campus is kind of a mixed area with families and a lot of college students, but reasonably safe.

North of campus in the areas around Hensel Park and Tanglewood Park are nice, safe neighborhoods.
Yep, the area around the "state name" streets is the closest thing to a "hood" that we have in College Station. Better areas for renters with kids are; Southwood Valley and the duplexes there and off of Longmire, Dexter etc. There is a high level of renting, and a fair number of student renters but, by and large, they tend to be more mature students who choose NOT to live in a party/student environment. Also, the Shenandoah neighborhoods have smaller homes with a number of rentals that are very safe and family friendly. You'll be glad to know that by and large almost all the CSISD schools are excellent. I lived near Brison Park and the closer you get to campus the noisier it is. But also, you aren't too far from the state streets but that didn't pose a problem. The Raintree neighborhood has rental houses that are just fine and quiet. Welcome to town! we love it here.
Flag Fri Jun 21, 2013