In My Neighborhood in 91770>Question Details

Mama, Other/Just Looking in 91770

What is the cost to tear down a home and rebuild one on the same lot?

Asked by Mama, 91770 Tue May 1, 2012

Carl Heldmann’s answer
Though I am not a fan of Tear Downs, they are sometimes inevitable. Read my House Tear Down article carefully!

Tearing down a house is not that expensive. It depends a lot on local regulations. An excavating contractor can give you a bid...get three bids and their references.
There is a link to free, easy to use cost estimating software to determine the approximate cost to rebuild a new house.You will also find a short, fascinating "tear down" video a the end of the article.

A NOTE OF CAUTION!! Don't tear down a house that is financed and has a mortgage on it without getting written permission from the lender or paying off the loan first! It's illegal.

Carl Heldmann
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 24, 2012
I'm not sure what the cost is. I agree with your answer though. It's a good idea to check with an excavating contractor. You want to get a few different estimates. You can see how much it will cost you exactly for what you need done if you do this beforehand.
Flag Tue May 19, 2015
I can tell you quite simply that if you are tearing down something of ANY value, then you are paying too much for the lot. Unless you are getting the property at land value or frankly less (there is a cost to tear down and prepare a site for a new building)
In today's market, the biggest reason for the small number of housing starts is simply because it is less expensive to buy an existing home than it is to build a new one. The land has not been depreciated but the building has. The cost to build has not gone done and in some cases has actually gone up (material and gas increases).
By tearing down the house and adding the cost of new construction to the "land value" you will probably be at a higher cost than an existing house in the neighborhood.
Any contractor is going to tell you it depends on what you want to put into the house. They're going to quote you anywhere from $130/sqft to over $220/sqft.

When you do tear down, please talk to "Re-UseIt & Habitat for Humanity" there could be many reusable items in the house from plumbing, electrical, wood products etc that they can use & the value of those items you can write off on your taxes as a charitable donation. It helps to bring down the actual costs of tearing down.

I have some inexpensive but very good contractor referrals if you'd like to talk to someone about your project. I also have a great architect I can refer to you.

Shoot me an email directly if you'd like to talk to me some more. I don't look back on this same Trulia thread for answers posted after mine.
562-430-3053 c
Realtor Since 1996
Main Street Realtor