In My Neighborhood in 20912>Question Details

Barb Zar, Home Buyer in Alexandria, VA

What is it like to live in Takoma Park, Mary?

Asked by Barb Zar, Alexandria, VA Mon Jul 5, 2010

Its a pretty area. Nice parks and beautiful views.
The cons are too many speed bumps (they literally have the 5mph ones every 50 feet down entire roadways), the roads need paving, they have too many potholes that tear up my car, too many overgrown and unpruned trees (if the wind gets up over 30 mph, expect your power to go out for at least a few hours, at worst a few days), too many dead trees that fall during storms (more power outtages).
I live in Sligo Station. Some of the neighbors there are really nice and friendly but there are a few that are very mean and miserable. When I lived in the ghetto (for most of my life) I've never had anyone treat me so badly.
There aren't a whole lot of places to shop and eat. I usually have to drive out of the neighborhood to get what I need.
Its kind of like the old saying "Beauty is pain".
Barb -

The honest answer is that it is a very diverse community. You really have it all in Takoma Park, from Old Town, to Piney Branch, to Langley Park. Takoma Park prides itself on being "nuclear free" and have been known as "Tree City".

The city limits are about 2.5 square miles, however the name "Takoma Park" goes into DC and different parts of Silver Spring. It borders NW DC, Silver Spring, and Hyattsville.

If you have any questions, feel free to call me 240.882.8512....I could tell you a wealth of information, not too long ago I was a police officer there in Takoma Park, and my real estate office is in Downtown Silver Spring.

Stanley Barsch
Right now its HOT! Make sure you buy a place with AC or high powered fans :)
On a more serious side I can pull some home and area info for you if you are interested in the area.
Check out these two sites. and for school information Both of these sites will give you unbiased information. Good Luck
Web Reference:
It's an interesting community. Very different both in style of homes and the viewpoints of the residents. It's best described by me as a liberal enclave. Not to my taste but the people I know that live there enjoy being so close to the city and want the social quirks of the area. Hope this helps a bit.