In My Neighborhood in 20171>Question Details

rreznikoff, Home Owner in Herndon, VA

What information is most effective in appealing a real estate valuation assessment?

Asked by rreznikoff, Herndon, VA Tue Mar 4, 2014

Fairfax VA

Answers

6
Hello Mr. Reznikoff,

I see that you live in Sycamore Ridge and that your assessment decreased 2012 to 2013. Is it the 2014 assessment that you are concerned about?

Please contact me to get an analysis of the that areas recent activity.

Jeanne Little
Metro Center KW
If you plan on appealing your assessment, please check with your local tax assessor to see when the deadline is. In most area the deadline is usually in March.
Some of the more important information is square feet, # of bedrooms, acreage of land, etc. As others have mentioned, you could ask an agent for help to see what would help your case the most in comparison to other homes in your neighborhood.
I'm guessing you got a huge jump like I did? Mine went up $100,000. I didn't know assessments were even allowed to go up that high.
The most recent sales of similar closed sales. Your local trusted Realtor will usually assist you without cost. Please reach out to one of the many resourceful resources here from your local area.

All the best to you.
The best information is comparable recent sales. (Really, the same process a Realtor uses in doing a CMA.) You pull together information showing that recent sales of similar nearby properties were for a lesser amount than your new assessment.

Although you can try doing it yourself--Fairfax County has property sale information online--it'd be a lot easier to get a Realtor to run some comps for you. There shouldn't be any charge for that. [Not a solicitation, but if you send me your address, I can try finding comps for you.]

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA