In My Neighborhood in 33711>Question Details

quiltcv, Home Owner in Los Angeles, CA

What happens if you have a new roof put on your house but did not get a permit.?

Asked by quiltcv, Los Angeles, CA Sun Mar 24, 2013

We are planning to rent out the house, and are unsure how to prove a new roof without permit. What will be accepted?

Answers

5
Depends on your city requirements, ask your roofer.
I would just check everything and be safe, I wouldn't want to guess anything. I've been thinking about doing the same thing with myroofing in Vancouver. I've never dealt with this before, so I curious to see how it's all going to turn out, good luck, hope it all goes well!
In most communities you can get a permit after the fact. And you should. Just go to the Building Dept. and tell them you'd like to apply for a permit for a roof that was recently done. Claim ignorance. In my experience, building depts. will allow you to do so without a penalty if you are the one to come forward. I have never had a building inspector inspect a roofing job. They just want you to call when you are finished. It's a money thing.
You must have a bill when you paid for the roof, plus you are planning to rent the house, not sell it.
Good Luck to you

Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago, North Shore & Northern Illinois Expert
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and
Investors alike....And always with a SMILE :)

Covering for @Properties Chicago & suburbs, and with her trusted Partner
Agents US & world wide properties. French, German, some Spanish &more EdithSellsHomes@atproperties.com or EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
Check out my website at http://tinyurl.com/YourRealtor4Life
Get to know me! Learn about my experience, expertise, services! Read letters
of recommendation! Sign up to search for properties in my expanded service area.
HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
Although a permit is usually required for a new roof, if you don't have one you should have a bill of sale from the contractor who installed the roof.

I hope this helps.

Nadine Mauro
Highlight Realty
561-414-0864
NadineSellsHouses@gmail.com