In My Neighborhood in 08638>Question Details

Normanf1962, Other/Just Looking in 08638

What does it mean when a Ewing Twp. listing states buyer is responsible for "smoke cert."? Does this mean house had a prior fire?

Asked by Normanf1962, 08638 Tue Sep 27, 2011

Is there any way to track a properties history accurately? I tracked down a former resident of a property that I interested in and found out that the house is 7 years older than stated in the listing.

Answers

3
It has nothing to do with whether a home has had a fire or not.......

this is a statewide requirement - homes much be inspected for proper installation of smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors and also fire extinguishers.........

see the following link for placement instructions:

http://76.12.225.78/pdfs/government/smoke_detector.pdf
No. Ewing Twp. has a complete municipal inspection. A municipality that does not have a municipal inspection in NJ is required by the state to call for a 'smoke cert'. This is a certification that the heater and any fireplaces are operable and that the home does have smoke detectors.
The "smoke cert" is just real estate jargon , it doesn't mean there was a fire. In most towns the smoke cert. is simply going to the township and scheduling for the inspector to make sure the home has the proper smoke detectors,carbon minoxide detector and fire extinguisher. A local FULLTIME agent can research the history of the home for you. I know a good agent in your area, if you would like to contact her, let me know. Good luck on the purchase.