In My Neighborhood in 89423>Question Details

hillaryocal, Home Buyer in Minden, NV

What animals will I need to watch out for as I let my kids play outside in this area? They are toddlers and preschoolers. Thank you!

Asked by hillaryocal, Minden, NV Fri Oct 28, 2011

Answers

5
Where do you live exactly? If it is Johnson Lane you might have snakes, spiders, hornets, wasps, and maybe bats. Most of the others, coyotes, rabbits, squires, mice and vowels will do their very best to stay away from you and your kids.

In the forested areas you can find raccoons, bobcats, deer, cougars and even bears. Again ... most of them would just as soon leave you alone as mess with you but, it's definitely a good idea to keep little kids under a watchful eye. The biggest problem is small animals like little dogs and cats .. coyotes will get them and that can happen in very populated areas, I live on Centerville Rd and Waterloo and we have had coyotes at our back fence. I don't let my little dogs out alone.

Also, we have had hawks get our chickens and go after our small dogs. No danger to your kids of course but do mind your pets.
Watch out for the racing snails; they've been known to topple a tot or two. :)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 28, 2011
I grew up on Kim Place, off of Vicky Lane. Moved into the area when I was three, moved away at age 12. We were taught basic snake recognition and safety, stay out of mine shafts, don't pick up scorpions, only saw one tarantula, coyotes are shy. Never hike alone, always tell an adult where you are going, and be back before dark. As I look at the map, I am astounded at the growth! Looks so developed! Of course, 40 years ago was such a long time! I had a storybook childhood, my friends homes were all connected with a spiderweb of trails which we rode daily.
Thank you for your input, everybody! I grew up in the Sierra Nevada mtns and know a thing or two about how to handle the bears and bobcats, racoons and other menaces around there. I'm moving my family now from Oregon to Minden, NV so I was just wondering what specific animals are there in the Carson Valley as I have never lived in the desert environment. Lisa W., your answer was very helpful, thank you!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 29, 2011
Hillary,
I live in an area where we have seen bear & bobcat and cougars have been seen by others. We have deer and raccoons in our yard on a regular basis. Our greatest risk however probably comes from insects.
Large animal on human attacks are very rare and make big news when the happen. Reasonable precautions are to make noise if you enter a wooded area and don't leave attractants around your property like birdseed or pet food.
My kids play in the 5 acres of woods behind our house and I rarely give it a second thought.