Joan, Renter in Seattle, WA

We want to rent a house in Magnolia that is about 4 blocks east of the train yards and are wondering if we will hear loud train noise at night?

Asked by Joan, Seattle, WA Sun Dec 12, 2010

Answers

12
Joan,
Back up and tell us if you are on the Thorndyke side of Dravus or the Gilman side! Most people do become accustomed to the coupling of the trains on the South end, especially with the newer technology for the mechanical couplers. If you are near the 3400 block on Gilman (near the Emerson St bridge then you get to hear the Roundhouse and machine shop 24 hours per day which are often unpredictable and varied noises which are much harder to live with. The other good advice already posted was to go there and listen!
Joan,

I am a life long Magnolia resident. I lived a few block from the train yard for a year and a half, and I can tell you that there is plenty of noise...mostly from the cars being coupled up like you said, but also a low hum as train are going through. I got used to it in about one month. Interesting thing is, when I moved away, it took me about 2 months to get used to no noise and the gentle vibration rocking me to sleep that I was accustom to.

Everone one is different though. Also, there are no set hrs of noise..every night was different, so you might need a couple of nights of just haging out (for a few hours) to figure it out.

Best of luck.

James
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 13, 2010
Joan,
do not ask anyone this question. you have to go there at night & listen. Of course, you will be inside a house. Are you a light sleeper? A fan blowing for white noise is what I use when I sleep because I am a light sleeper. Good luck whatever you decide.
Don't ask agents! your noise acceptance and someone else's may just be different. Go there at night and listen... Or ask an agent to show you a rental unit there in the evening and you will know!

Good Luck to you in your search for your rental unit. If you are renting a home, stop at the neighbors and ask them. I can tell you that most of them will probably tell you that they got so used to it, that they do not notice it anymore.... But check it out for yourself, everybody has a different tolerance for noise.
Good Luck to you!
Edith YourRealtor4Life And Chicago Connection
EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
Joan:
Your point is well taken however I lived there for years and couldn't get used to not hearing the trains when I moved over to the west side of Magnolia! Also, I maintain a multiplex on the east side of Magnolia and my tenants tell me that they would miss it if there weren't any train 'noise' so it's a matter of getting used to it however frankly, I've never had a problem.
Wayne Lubin
That's your best bet--The only way to find out is to find out :)
Thank you all. I am concerned about crashes and screeching in the nite from the cars being coupled up - not so much the general "trains going thru" sort of noise. Maybe I will try to go over there later in the evening and listen (or lurk, as my husband said!).
Joan,

Speaking from personal experience, you will likely hear passing trains but the noise level may depend on other factors: weather, wind direction, traffic, etc.

Many people say that in time, these sounds become less and less noticeable but this probably depends on the individual.

Yes, you will. "Loud" may be subjective, but if you have the windows open in summer, you will hear the trains.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 12, 2010
Depending on where you are you very well could. I lived miles from a train track and still heard the train on occasion in the middle of the night. Generally only a clear night, obviously with all the rain around here rain drops will be the first thing you hear;-)
I agree with Patrick, if you live across the street or your building backs on the track area. But if you're 4 blocks away you might be ok. Check it out at late at night, when there's less car traffic on 15th NW to distract you.
The train noise won't bother you too much, but the sound of the rail cars crashing together will sometimes be pretty jarring if you live right across the street. The best way to find out is spend about half an hour during the day in front of the house you're thinking of renting. One thing that I've noticed in some of the houses that are directly across from the rail yard is that if you move any picture frames, yoo'll see soot outlines on the walls.