In My Neighborhood in 21663>Question Details

Phoebe, Home Buyer in Mission Viejo, CA

We hear that electronic bells (from a church?) ring every quarter hour 7 days a week and can be heard all over town. Is this true?

Asked by Phoebe, Mission Viejo, CA Sun May 16, 2010

? If so, how far out does a family need to live to hear the bells only distantly?

Janet & Ed

Answers

6
Marie Wroten’s answer
I lived in town for 16 years and they never bothered me, and I lived about 10 blocks away and you could barely hear them. They are actually a welcome addition and add to the charm of the town.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 25, 2012
The bells you mention originate at a church in the town of St. Michaels that was established in 1673. That's right. 100 years before the American Revolution. It has a right to ring its bells.

The bells are a tradition in this charming American town. If you think they'll bother you, come stay in a B & B for the weekend. You may find you don't even hear them after the first day. Their caroling causes most people to stop in their tracks and smile.

They don't ring all night long, by the way. But even so, their sound is soothing and rather assuring somehow. Sort of a "God's in His Heaven, all's right with the world" type of feeling.
There are many, many, many, many, towns who have been sterilized of all character and wear the garments of Seven Eleven and The Walmart. Please choose to live in one of these and leave the citizens of Mission Viejo alone.
Honestly, I don't get when people would rather NOT hear church bells. Where my elderly father lives and where I grew up, the Presbyterian Church bells play a tune every hour, on the hour. It's comforting to hear, even though I'm not Presbyterian. Lighten up, the bells won't corrupt anybody.
The quarter hour ringing is the classic Westminster Chime tones indicating quarter past, half, quarter of & the hour. On Sunday morning a group of hymn tunes appropriate to the season are also played.
How far away they can be heard depends on the weather (further in calm, clear air) and the sensitivity of one's hearing.
Yes they do -- electronic bells and they're not the sweet soft chimes of yore...

Carol Trappe