In My Neighborhood in 60302>Question Details

Angela, Renter in Glasgow, MT

We have 2 young children, one is 6 and the other is 2 - what are the schools like and are there plenty of things to do with them?

Asked by Angela, Glasgow, MT Sun Aug 29, 2010

Answers

6
Angela,
We aren't allowed as realtors to indicate what schools are better or worst than others. I would be happy to provide you with a link to the state's website that ranks different school districts.
Hi Angela,

As real estate agents, we are not allowed to "steer" you to or from any school district. As someone who went to school in Oak Park as a child I can say that I feel I received a great education. I thought growing up in Oak Park was great because there was something for everyone: sports, arts, libraries, etc. Also, we have two CTA train lines that lead to downtown and a Metra train line. I thought Oak Park was just close enough to Chicago make it to a Cubs game or a museum and my parents felt it was just far enough from the congestion and everything else that the city brings.

I have a blog that has to do with Oak Park and River forest if are interested checking it out, cut and paste or click on this: http://www.OPRFRealEstateBlog.com
Hello, Oak Park has great schools and a wonderful family environment! Why don't you check the District 97 website which will give you data on all of our elementary schools - http://www.op97.k12.il.us .
Regarding things to do, not only in Oak Park but for our area, is http://www.chicagoparent.com and, Oak Park is proud to have a Childrens' Museum with all kinds of fun and learning activites. You wll love it here!
Thanks, Nancy
Keep in mind that opinions are often subjective and what may be good for one is not necessarily the case for another--if you are not familiar with the area, do visit more than once and at different times of day--look at everything that is important to you--if schools are a concern, consider visiting the district, ask for a tour of the facility, speak to the principal, teachers, etc., ask all your questions and then make a determination--will your comfort level be reached--real estate professionals are prohibited from “steering”—enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods
Hi Angela,
Michelle did a great job of summing up family life in Oak Park -- it's pretty phenomenal here! It's a quick 10 minute drive to Brookfield Zoo as well. We are also connected to the Chicago Transit System, so getting to downtown Chicago is a breeze! Tons of museums, parks, nature centers, beaches, etc. -- I'm sure you and your family would be very happy here!
Best of luck,
Laurie Christofano
Hi Angela -- Oak Park is perfect for kids. I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old so the same age pretty much and there is plenty to do with the kids here. We've lived here about 4 years and it is a very family-friendly community. My daughter just started 1st grade and we think the school here is phenomenal. There are plenty of preschools too. There are lots of parks, 2 pools and the park district has a lot to offer. The library is great too and has a huge kids section, lots of storytimes and a couple of places where the kids can just play (great for when the weather isn't). We are very close to a couple of colleges too which makes finding babysitters pretty easy. If you have any specific questions, feel free to email me directly at moloftus@kw.com.

Michelle