In My Neighborhood in 34293>Question Details

Jmq631, Home Buyer in Venice, FL

We are looking to buy a home in south Venice. At first we will rent it seasonally until we are ready to retire there. How strong is the seasonal?

Asked by Jmq631, Venice, FL Sun Sep 9, 2012

rental market there?

South Venice has a strong rental market for in season and long term rentals. yearly rentals bring in around $900 to $1,200 a month minimum and from $2,400 and up during seasons. Call me and I will put you in touch with our rental devision
The seasonal market for South Venice and Englewood is very strong. To give you a better idea about the seasonal home market and how much income you can expect based on the home you purchase, please visit my company's webiste We are a full-service brokerage and in addition to selling homes, we manage over 50 seasonal and annual rentals in the area.

Please feel free to contact me any time if you need assistance with your home purchase. I would be happy to assist you in finding the perfect home for your retirement.

Michelle Jakelis
Floridian Realty Services, LLC
Hello, hello. Thanks for asking this question. I am a Realtor who lives and work ins Venice, and know South Venice very well.

Seasonal properties are popular in Venice, overall, which is a beach community, and South Venice, in particular, which has an optional beach ferry and community boat ramp.

Membership to the beach ferry, which takes you across the intercoastal to the beach, is $92 per year, or $35 for 30 days. Either way, it's a fun ride over the water to a quiet beach.

This neighborhood amenity is really enjoyed most by people with homes within walking or easy biking distance - so you might want to target you search to that specific area of South Venice.

Also, many seasonal renters prefer a pool in the back yard, which also brings you a higher rent.

For example, I recently helped an investor by a 1980 2 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage pool home. They did some modern upgrades in the kitchen (granite, stainless), and it is now renting is for around $1300 per month.

This same rental could fetch twice that, nicely updated and turnkey furnished, for a seasonal rental.

FYI, annual rentals - particularly single family homes with garages - are in short supply. Most property managers have waiting lists, particularly with 3 bedrooms and a 2 car garage - in case you are playing with that idea, too.

Another attraction for investing in South Venice is that there are no HOA fees to calculate into your bottom line.

Other things to think about for investment properties include: price of purchase, closing costs, renovation costs (if any), turnkey set up (furniture, coffee maker, sheets on the bed, etc.), real estate taxes, insurance (including liability insurance to protect you, the owner), maintenance of the lawn and pool (and who is going to do that - you or the tenant - in seasonal, it will be you, in annual, it might be the tenant), how you will handle rent collection, repairs and other tenant issues, and who will clean the home before and after each occupant, if seasonal.

This is just a quick down and dirty food for thought, in the investment opportunities. For a more detailed conversation on how to calcuate which properties will bring the most profit to you before you buy - and how to find them - please feel free to contact me.

But you are definitely on the right track - good for you!!!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 9, 2012
Venice has a very strong seasonal market. You have to be careful in certain areas or subdivisions regarding rental restrictions. On my website you can easily pick your search criteria. If you like I can set up a search for you, to get always the newest homes available vie a-mail alert.

Kind Regards

Werner Untrieser
Broker Associate, CRS, GRI, SFR, CIPS, TRC
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 9, 2012
The seasonal market is strong as David mentioned, one reason is the inventory of rentals are low, the market needs affordable seasonal as well as annual rentals. I have lived in the area for 33 years and also would be happy to create a web page of your very own in the MLS to search for homes that meet your current needs as well as your future ones. Send me an email to and I'll get page up and running in the next 24 hours. Thank you for the opportunity to help, Steven
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 9, 2012
The closer to the beach the better. Venice is very popular for seasonal rentals. They go fast. We have more people looking for rentals than properties available. I would be happy to work with you to help you find a home. You can search our company web site at or my web site at

You can rent properties as annual, short term, long term, and vacation. You can choose to manage the property yourself or hire a property management company to do some or all of the work. This may include items such as marketing the property, handling calls from tenants, collecting rent, and maintaining the property.

If you are going to rent a property be sure to know Florida's Landlord/Tenant Law. You can find information on this at

Don't count on appreciation. With the market the way it is right now, appreciation is not a guarantee. When looking at homes, you want to purchase a home that would have an attractive resale value no matter what the market is like. Obviously you would like to make a profit if you did resell.

If you decide to rent the property, it is necessary to make sure your rental income will cover your out of pocket expenses such as the mortgage payment, taxes, insurance, maintenance, repairs and vacancy rate. Right now, demand is higher than supply. Check with local real estate agents or call rental ads to see what the going rental rate is within the areas you are looking to purchase a property.

Try an investment calculator such as the one at Go to their web site: This will give you a good idea of the financial situation if you decide to rent an investment property.

There are tax benefits in any real estate investment. Check with your local tax advisor before entering into a purchase agreement for any investment property to make sure you qualify and follow the strict requirements.

Tammy Hayes, Realtor
Green Lion Realty, Port Charlotte, FL
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 9, 2012
The seasonal rental market is very strong. There is always a demand for properties in south Venice and Englewood.

There are several attractive areas without deed restrictions which allow you the flexibility to rent when you like, without paying monthly association fees.

You can search for Venice properties for sale on my website with no sign up required at If you decide you'd like a condo or a villa, you can search for those here:

I'd also be happy to set up an automated search for you in our MLS based on your budget and other criteria.

David Barr, Broker Associate
Sandals Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 9, 2012