In My Neighborhood in 90720>Question Details

Brabby07, Home Buyer in New York, NY

We are looking at homes in the Los Alamitos area. With the JFTB so close nearby, would you have concerns about living in the area west of the base

Asked by Brabby07, New York, NY Fri Sep 28, 2012

with air traffic or other issues?

Answers

6
Greetings Brabby07<

The Area West of the base is Rossmoor, and it has just been named one of the best places to live in according to the Orange County Register!

School are in the Los Alamitos Unified School district, and are excellant.
My son went K thru 12 in the Los Alamitos School district,and I can not say enough great things about the education and overall quality of life he received.

The base does have some flights but nothing to be alarmed about.
The air traffic is minimal.

If you go a bit farther west you will be in the Eldorado Parlk area of Long Beach, which is also a nice place to live.

Good luck on your move to California, The sunshine state welcomes you!!!

Best of luck to you,

Kawain Payne, Realtor
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 29, 2012
I have sold property in this area and I have never heard any negative complaint about the noise or air traffic. I live near the Long Beach Airport and there is a plane landing every 5 minutes. The traffic at the base is nothing of the sort. You would have to send some time in the neighborhood to get a feel for the air traffic in order to make your decision. As others have mentioned in previous comments, the school district is highly desirable.

Alex Montelongo/Broker
Coldwell Banker Star Realty
562-810-7387 Cell
BRE Lic #01456982
I grew up in the Los Alamitos section called Rossmoor Highlands (E. of Rossmoor) which is right next to the JFTB. Because I grew up there, I am completely acclimated to any excessive noise, in fact gives me good memories of my childhood. Like others have mentioned here, the base does not have continuous drills, they are sporadic and the local paper usually notifies in advance. On the plus side, they have a fireworks show every 4th of July.
I would and don't have any concerns about living close to the base. Los Alamitos has the warm feeling of a small town with all the amenities and opportunities of living in the city. I have raised my daughter here for the past 14 years and can't say enough about the exceptional schools, proximity to the beach and freeways and community involvement. Check out my website http://www.MoureenAllard.com for more information!
The JTFB is not a typical airport or Air Force Base, they only do training exercises over there, occasionally, we'll see helicopters, on rare occasions we see a couple f-16 type planes or a C-130, but it's not like living next to, say LAX.

Please shoot me an email directly or give me a call, I currently live in Rossmoor just west of the base & grew up in the neighborhood.

Emily S. Knell
EmilyKnell1@yahoo.com
562-430-3053 c
Realtor Since 1996
Realty ONE Group
Rossmoor Native
Good question. I can't say from experience, but I did find a similar discussion on city-data.com:

I've also noticed advisories posted for the occasional post 10p.m. flights.

Joe