In My Neighborhood in 75605>Question Details

honey4phenix, Home Buyer in Longview, TX

We are in the process of deciding if we want to relocate from Louisiana to Texas, in the Longview area. Any input on how it is to live there, we are?

Asked by honey4phenix, Longview, TX Tue Jul 3, 2012

in our mid 50's, but our 23 year old daughter is coming with us. How is the work force doing in this area, will she be able to find a job.

Sandy Hurst Bassham’s answer
We moved here from the Houston area and have been here for about a year and a half. My husband and I both really like it here in Longview. We are in a great neighborhood close to everything; I highly recommend Longview!

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 26, 2013
Hi there! Just last week Forbes magazine named Longview number 6 on their list of fastest growing small towns in America! This is largely due to our stable economy, which includes varied industries as well as many oil & gas related businesses. We also have excellent healthcare facilities and several state-of-the-art senior living facilities are either under construction or finished just now. They offer everything from senior-focused apartment/condo living to full-scale memory centers and assisted living. In fact Longview is a designated retirement center. Now you're not that old, but I thought you'd want to know! Our job situation is GOOD! I have a good friend who is in charge of an employment agency and would be happy to connect you so she could give you a better idea of what's available for your daughter. For a population of 80000, we have quite a bit of cultural activities and facilities; we have our own art museum, historical museum, children's theater, community theater, symphony etc. - and have LeTourneau University, UT Tyler (Longview campus) and Kilgore Jr College only 20 minutes away. That's scratching the surface of why it's good to live in Longview, but there's much more! Most importantly, you'll find the people here to be very friendly! Let me know if I can help with your real-estate needs!

Nancy Chapmon, Realtor
Suzanne Cook & Co
903.241.6109 ~ call or text
I too am from Louisiana (New Orleans) and have lived here in east Texas for the past 10 years. I absolutely love it here and the people have been very welcoming. Longview is a great place to raise a family, start a business or retire. Call me, I'd be happy to share my experiences here !
Chip Peralta - Realtor - 903.241.2675
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 24, 2014
East TX is a wonderful place to live, Longview is large enough to have plenty to do but, small enough to get around easily.... Depending on what kind of work your daughter does will depend on how easy or difficult it is to find work... I can tell you that Longview does a well at providing jobs. We have two hospitals, several schools ... manufacturing etc. that offer employment. Good Luck! Let me know if I can be of any help to you in your move.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 16, 2012
Longview or any of the surrounding communities are wonderful places to find jobs. If you are looking to find a community that has a small town feel, but is close to Longview, Hallsville, is a great place to begin looking. Although you do not need it at this time, property valuation is something to consider. Hallsville has a brand new high school and property here is in demand. I also work the surrounding communities, including Jefferson (historic community with bustling walk-through antique shops and boutiques downtown), Longview (larger area with plenty of shopping and eating establishments), Marshall (college town with plenty of shopping and eating establishments) and many other smaller towns within those areas. I am a transplant here as well, but have enjoyed the slower pace of the area and many events to attend coming up with the cooler weather. I have many tips and events listed on my Facebook page. I am your hometown realtor and would be willing to look for that hard to find property you may be interested in. Please contact me at 903-742-5080 if you would like some help with your relocation. I'd be glad to answer any questions.
I wish I'd seen your question earlier! Have you already made the decision to move now that it's August? Longview has excellent medical facilities, which is one reason it is a designated retirement community (not that you're ready to retire!). We also have quite a mix of cultural activities for a town our size, from the Longview Museum of Fine Arts, the Longview Symphony (and it's wonderful Belcher Center), and the Opera, Ballet and Theater group, to the Artsview Children's Theater. There are many active service organizations, clubs and volunteer opportunities. Our economy is good, and I would doubt your daughter would have trouble finding a job she likes. Please let me know if you still need any assistance in relocating! You can email me at