William Stev…, Home Seller in Monrovia, MD

We are in Maryland and about to make our 3rd trip to F/Hills to seriously look. What can anyone tell us about life there. Looks great. We are

Asked by William Stevens, Monrovia, MD Sat Oct 16, 2010

retired, 60's, travel alot worldwide and do not golf. Just sick of MD taxes and winters. Bill and Ann

Answers

22
Micky Parker’s answer
Bill and Ann, Those of us who've relocated here and been residents for many years cannot say enough about how wonderful it is to live here as is evidenced by some of the other answers. I've tried to capture the essence on my Facebook fan page which you're welcome to visit!
I grew up in FH. Moved there when I was 3 and lived there till I was 20. My parents and sister still live there. They are very happy. I really enjoy the views and the people. I like to go out to eat so it is a bit far for me to live but I really enjoy visiting often. Best wishes, Tiffany
When I compare Fountain Hills to the community's of Mesa and Scottsdale the first thing that comes to mind are the views. Whether coming or going from our town its always a new experience to see the way the sun hits our mountains at the rise and the set each day.

The second thing is the ease of getting to places like Scottsdale for a great restaurant or some higher end shopping. I go into Scottsdale everyday and their are few places that I can not reach within a 30 minute drive. The airport is a straight shot down the 87 to the 202. I usually leave my home just as the arrival is Scheduled to land and by the time I get to the curb my passenger is ready for pickup.

In the summer when you want to get away to the cool elevations one hour gets you to Payson, 3 hours gets you to Show Low where you can get some great Snow Skiing at 10,000 feet. Flagstaff is another great destination for summer golf or snow skiing in season. We love the beach and our favorite spot is Puerto Pennasco, AKA Rocky Pointe. It sits at the top of the Sea of Cortez just 4.5 hours by car to some beautiful beach resort vacation time.

Fountain Hills is just the right size for us. Sheri and I have both served on the Chamber of Commerce planning boards and participate in many social and civic events. Our children have gone through the school system here and we find that if you become involved the teachers are very responsive.

When deciding on what type of home to buy two things determine that. Budget and need for privacy. This season I sold two condos that were purchased in the last two years. Both bought single family homes becasue the wanted more space and privacy. Multifamily housing can be great for the ease of coming and going. I would have to learn more about your family and your needs to be sure in what direction to lead you.

Maintenance issues can be handled through a 'Home-tender" that would visit your home to be sure everything is OK. A home with a pool needs some special attention during the summer but most of this can be handled for a weekly fee depending on the home size. Landscaping is fairly simple. I usually have all of ours cut back 3 times a year and that handles the desert plants very well. Everything is on a low output drip system. I actually have a small lawn on a 11500 sq ft lot and my water bill is $56.00 per month. The sun can be harsh so things like roof maintenance and care and paint are a must. Leaving the home for the summer is simply turning the hot water heater off and some of my clients turn off all of the valves to the sinks and lavatory's as well.

When purchasing a property we discover a lot of these through the inspection process and 10 day due diligence. This assures us the home you are buying will be move in ready. We always recommend a home warranty paid by the seller to keep any issues in the first year to simply you making a call and writing a check for $65.00 to licensed technician that will warranty any work done.

I have an appointment to take a look at Winston For you at 3pm today I will send you the additional photos and my impression of the property later on this afternoon.

Have a wonderful day and thank you for your interest.

Jon Musa & Sheri Patton
Insuring Great Results

Sonoran Lifestyle Real Estate
Jon Cell: 602-319-7725
Sheri Cell: 480-215-6041
Email: jon@livefh.com
Website: http://www.DesertDreams.listingbook.com

Jon Musa & Sheri Patton
Insuring Great Results

Sonoran Lifestyle Real Estate
Jon Cell: 602-319-7725
Sheri Cell: 480-215-6041
Email: jon@livefh.com
Having lived all over the valley I finally settled in Fountain Hills and it;s the best decision I ever made. Small town, quiet but close to everything. You just can't beat the mountain views.
Between October and May the weather is just beautiful! If you enjoy being outdoors it is lovely!
In the summer if you want to escape the heat Only one hour away from Fountain Hills there is a little town called Pine at 5548 elevation, which makes it 20-30 degrees cooler.

Fountain Hills has beautiful views, and if you don't like to golf there are other fun things to do, it really depends on what you like to do.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you, and guide you throughout the process of relocation. It would be my pleasure.

Bianca
(602)-570-7898
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 12, 2013
We are 60's and retired. Have lived in Fountain Hills for 2.5 years. We consider this location
the very finest in relation to the Phoenix Valley with access to Health Care and reasonable property taxes. This Town is a wonderful refuge, very little crime, and residents are friendly up here in the foothills out of the hustle bustle of the Valley. Only 25 minutes to Sky Harbor Airport heading out the back way down hwy 87. There are basic shopping needs here although it is only 14 miles east down
Shea Blvd into Scottsdale where the finest dinning is limitless in Old Town, the complete shopping center malls can be found in Scottsdale, Fountain Hills is limited but the privacy is worth having to
make those short trips into the Valley.

There is only one thing that we have a problem with and that is the Brutal Heat of Summer! It is difficult. Be prepared May/June thru September/October. 118 degrees can take a toll on your psyche as we run from air conditioned building to air conditioned vehicles, it is Brutal. Our summer electric bill runs $350 average per month so work this utility cost into your monthly. We have just survived our 3rd full summer and plan on not being in town next summer. There are many locals who have learned to simply get out of town especially June, July and August. They are known as
"Snow Birds" and head North or any where cooler during the unbearably hot months. So, be warned and we will look forward to seeing you here in Fountain Hills although you will not be seeing us next summer because we will be joining the ranks of "Snow Birds".

The comments from these other FH home owners are right-on. It is a wonderful town with a great
selection of families, young and old.

Michael
Ok, here's the thing. People saying this is a "snowbird" community are feeding you what you want to hear. Basically the winter months in all of Phoenix are filled with snowbirds but Fountain Hills is not and was never intended to be "custom built" or a "primary" snowbird location. Unless you go to the grocery store every single day, your shopping experience is in Scottsdale. Fountain Hills is in the North East section of Phoenix bordering two American Indian Reservations and Scottsdale. Therefore, it has a quiet small town feel & that's exactly what it is, not a "snowbird destination."
The weather is fantastic along with the scenary. Truly a beautiful place to live and it is also close to Scottsdale. Periodically, they have art shows around the fountain area, that make it easy for you to find that southwestern piece of art or just browse for the day.

Would love to send you some listing/

--- Ed ----

Edward D. Berry PLLC, MBA
Call Realty, Inc
H 480.539.1764
M 480.370.4459
mailto:edberry@cox.net
http://www.findyourhomeez.com
The weather , easy commute and many like minded transplants should make your transition here very easy and comfortable. Let me know should you need help in locating your dream home in Fountain Hills!
I've been a part-time resident of Fountain Hills, AZ for twelve years. Love the non-congested area and the serene surroundings of my condo at Copperwynd Resort.
Hi Bill and Ann-

I am not a realtor so I have nothing to sell. My wife and I are from NY and bot a 2nd home here in FH. Took us a while to find the right home with the views. We love it here-and real happy that we settled in FH and not Scottsdale-which is a short ride away. My email address is: paynotax@gmail.com---feel free to contact me further.
Hi Bill & Ann, I have not been very active on Trulia; however I would sincerely like to chat with you about our wonderful town of Fountain Hills. We have lived here since January 1981, moved seven times within the town and have seen it grow from 2500 residents to approximately 23,000. Our potential growth is 30-35,000, so it will always remain a "small hometown-type community" with minimal industry. MCO Properties is the master developer of Fountain Hills (founded December 15, 1970) and we are MCO Realty, an arm of the developer. We are higher in elevation than the rest of the Valley, so it is a little cooler, a lot cleaner (don't have the congestion and pollution). We are bordered by Scottsdale and the McDowell Mountains on the west, reservation on the south and east, regional park on the north; so our boundaries are set. We have all of your basic shopping needs right here. And, we're only 25 minutes from Sky Harbor Airport. I would love to mail you the Community Guide, a booklet (88 pages) telling you all about Fountain Hills, including the history of Fountain Hills, weather, population, education, different clubs and organizations, etc etc. Yes, there is more to this area than golf courses. Actually I am a bowler, not a gofler. This guide is updated once a year. When do you plan a return visit to sunny Arizona? Please email me at CarolGoyena@gmail.com and update me with your proposed plans. By the way, we (The Goyena Team) are full-time realtors, available seven days a week.
Look forward to hearing from you. Carol Goyena from The Goyena Team of MCO Realty.
Bill and Ann, Paradise awaits you. I moved from MN to Arizona and haven't looked back since. Fountain hills is custom built for snowbirds. It is quiet and has all of the amenities of shopping, parks and wildlife, but if you want to get to Scottsdale or Phoenix, it is a short 20-30 minute drive. There are also lakes within 30 minutes and an abundance of shows shops and other things to do. In addition, the property taxes here are ridiculously low. If you have other questions, feel free to call or visit my website
Web Reference: http://www.SearchAZmls.com
No Fountain Hills is NOT custom built for snowbirds. We hate snowbirds! Snowbirds go to High School? psh It's a beautiful town but there are hardly shopping amenities although it is a short drive to Scottsdale to shop. At least be honest Geez!
Flag Mon Jun 17, 2013
Hello Bill and Ann! If this is your 3rd trip to Fountain Hills you obviously have enjoyed the marvelous views that we have here...unlike most other cities in the Phoenix area. If you likea smaller, hometown feel and friendly neighbors, you will love Fountain Hills. I have lived in Arizona for 33 years and in several areas around the valley, but the last 12 years in Fountain Hills have been the best. As you know, because the location is on the north east side of Scottsdale and backing to the reservation, our residents enjoy the quiet town atmosphere and we have less traffic than most of the other areas. You don't have to be a golfer to enjoy the social amenities that FH offers and if you want to expand into Scottsdale, it only a quick and easy 20 minute drive. Come on out and enjoy the sunshine and relax. When you are ready to chat more about what Fountain Hills offers for you, I would love to talk with you. In the meantime, my website is http://myazrealtysource.com. I hope to have the opportunity to meet with you soon. Have a safe trip!

Judy Simmonds
KELLER WILLIAMS ARIZONA REALTY
(480) 201-8400
Web Reference: http://MYAZREALTYSOURCE.COM
Bill and Ann -

I find many of my clients selling homes are escaping Maryland to a more retirement and tax friendly state.

If you need assistance selling your Maryland property - I'd be happy to discuss how to get top dollar in this market.

You may as well head out to Fountain Hills with a fist full of dollars!

If you like the answer - please consider making it a "Best Answer" !

Gerard Dunn
Associate Broker
Licensed in Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Assisting Homebuyer's and Seller's for 28 years
703-216-9100
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 17, 2010
Dear Stevens Family,

Wow! Maryland to Arizona is a big change. I came from Oregon and found Fountain Hills to be about as close to heaven as I can get for now. I am a full time, full service Keller Williams Realtor and live here in Fountain Hills with my husband and my mother (from Oregon also). It is very clean and beautiful here with lots of wildlife to watch. We have some terrific churches and we have found the people to be very kind. If you can let me know when you are coming to town, I will clear my calendar for you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 16, 2010
Bill and Ann,

My husband and I moved to Fountain Hills in 1991 and have never looked back! We love it, it's like having your cake and eating it too: a decidedly small town environment located amidst rolling hills and surrounded by open space, mountains and Sonoran Desert scenery at its best! At the same time, it's very close to a major Metro area with everything to do! There are many clubs and organizations, community theater, lots of public art, hiking trails, Saguaro Lake is 20 minutes away if you like water and boating. While there are many parttimers, a core of permanent residents are happy to call it home! My Mom moved from Oregon to Fountain Hills last summer. This was not an easy move as she'd lived in Oregon for 40 years. She just celebrated her one year anniversary here, I've never seen her happier. Everyone she's encountered has been helpful and friendly not to mention she doesn't have to worry about winters any more! If you are open to getting out and meeting people, you'll feel a part of the community in no time!

The Chamber of Commerce and Fountain HIlls Times are good sources of information. A Community Guide is available that has everything in it you might want to know.

Micky Parker

PS I do not golf either!
Web Reference: http://www.MickyParker.com
Hi Bill and Ann!

Here is a blog post that I wrote about life in Fountain Hills. I'd be happy to help you find a home here.

Jack
Hi Bill and Ann!

Hi Bill and Anne,

You have chosen the right place! Fountain Hills is simply the best place to live in Arizona. I have been fortunate to live in the Hills for several years. I focus my 30 years of experience selling my hometown.

You absolutely do not need to be a golfer to live here. There is so much to enjoy. Have you seen a copy of the Fountain Hills Times? I would be happy to send you a complimentary copy. Let me know if your would like to talk personally. I have included a link to my website. http://www.fountainhillsrealestate.com.

I hope you visit soon. My husband Marco and I are in your age group and both active Realtors and would love to share why we chose Fountain Hills.

Susan and Marco Pellegrini
Hi Bill and Ann, Fountain
Hills was made for you two. It's primarily a township for snow birds or second home owners who want to escape the winter months. The community is small and the town feels that way. It's got most the amenities you'll need. The chaimber of commerce has a TON of area informatioin there so when you arrive be sure to stop in there and ask pllenty of questions. See you soon!
Web Reference: http://Www.stewkeene.biz