In My Neighborhood in 94555>Question Details

Sai Shenoy, Home Owner in Fremont, CA

We are currently in the motions of buying a home (in loan process after offer). The house next door has been on the market for almost 120 days.

Asked by Sai Shenoy, Fremont, CA Wed Jul 21, 2010

Should we be concerned about this at all? Its a different floor plan and did not fit our criteria (we saw it too and did not like it)

Answers

7
You said you didn't like the other house...and you just have your answer. Maybe other potential buyers don't like it either.

What else is wrong about that house --- over priced? no curb appeal? bad condition? outdated? Have you noticed other problems, like overly noisy goings-on? Non-stop barking dogs?

How about the rest of the neighborhood? One bad home may be a problem, but if the rest of the neighborhood looks fine and has the qualities you want, then don't worry about the next door house unless there are other more serious problems that will be hard to overcome. Eventually, after you close escrow on yours, the seller may reconsider and do something to better market the property.

Congratulations on your purchase.....and hope you have many happy moments at your new home.
I just ran a quick check on the Ardenwood area in our MLS. There are several houses that have been listed for over 100 days. Often the big issue is price and an unmotivated seller. Everything sells when seller and buyer agree on a price. If the seller refused to price to meet the market the house will not sell.

In today’s market, short sale houses have signs up for months while the bank decides what to do with an offer.

I hope that you have asked your REALTOR® for information about the house. Your REALTOR® is in a much better position than we are since we are all generalizing.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 22, 2010
Hello Imperimsage,

Pacita is right, if you don't like the other house others may not like it either. Ardenwood is a great area, but if the floor plan is bad, you can't change that. As Pacita mentioned it could be many reasons.

The main thing is that the home you are buying is nice and you like it.
Brian
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 22, 2010
Thumbs up to Pacita and John! Great answers. It would take a lot of “bad” homes in Ardenwood to make it “bad” neighborhood. Price, Preparation and Promotion are the three big issues – if any of the three are off, the home may very well sit there for a long time.
.
The reason the other house may not have sold could have several causes that have nothing to do with the area. I had a loan fall out because my client went into a contract and the property was a great deal on the price side but at the same time it has $40,000 in needed repairs.

So there can be structural issues, there can be certain repairs or even a city citation that without it being cured the property can never sell. If your home is in good condition and appraises for the price you offered or better, you have nothing to worry about.
If the house is not well lit or the floor plan is not good, many buyers would not like it. Maybe the seller is asking too much for the house and he needs to reduce the price to get it sold. Believe me, everything sells for the right price. People are willing to sacrifice a lot of things they want in a house to get their children in good schools especially Forest Park Elementary School.

It seems to me that the seller may not be motivated enough but that should not stop you from buying in that neighborhood. I have sold several homes in Ardenwood and it is a good area with Ardenwood Elementary School and Forest Park Elementary School as the best schools there.

Meena Gujral
Help-U-Sell Achievers Realty
510-279-9580
Thanks for your answer.
It is mainly a floorplan issue for us. The kitchen is in the centre of the house and is enclosed by walls. The place is also not very well lit. The community is great with none of the other problem you mentioned. It's a short walk from Forest Park elementary and is in a quiet and beautiful area.