Nicolasina, Home Buyer in Eastway, Charlotte, NC

We are a same sex (female) couple planning on relocating to Charlotte very soon from NYC. We are actually house hunting. We'd like to know what

Asked by Nicolasina, Eastway, Charlotte, NC Sun Aug 22, 2010

areas, subdivision, etc. would be considered liberal if not gay-friendly. Any feedback would be greatyt appreciated.

Answers

16
The neighborhood we live in is great and it's why we chose to live here - diversity and inclusion. Check out http://www.LiveInWilmore.com and http://www.SouthendCharlotte.com. That being said there are many neighborhoods where it sounds like you'd enjoy. Many, including Southend, that have fairly large LBGT couples and businesses. I think you'll find Charlotte quite open and friendly
Hello - it's December 2013 as I write this -- I'm wondering you things worked out for you, Nicolasina? I'm also considering moving to Charlotte to be with some family -- partner and I are 60, long term lesbian couple, coming from very GLBT friendly Boston, wondering would this move be nuts? But we've liked what we've see in Charlotte, and getting pretty sick of this winter thing (written on a 20 degree day...) Thoughts? Hope things are gong well for you.
I have a home for rent in Charlotte...My name is Rod Bowman 214 784 2234
Nicolasina,
One more idea for you: why not try checking the voting records of the areas that you are considering? The democratic party has traditionally supported gay rights. Also, it looks like the gay/lesbian center has moved from Plaza Midwood to the center city. It appears that way from google.
You have received a lot of answers here. The Fair Housing Act prohibits Realtors from steerign people to any neighborhood or away from any neighborhood due to a variety of factors...one being familial status.

With that said, I relocated here with my wife and four kids six years ago. I am a New York native who resided in fairfield county for the past ten years prior to moving to Charlotte. onethign I will tell you is this is not the typical "south". Charlotee si a well diversified area with peopel from all over relocating here for a vvariety fo reasons. Peopel are generally nice and open and strerotyping is not an issue.

There are other factors to consider as well as to liberal neighborhoods you asked about...Price range? Commuting distance? (Charlotte is no where near like New York for mass transit). Do you want to be near certain amenties, parks, clubs, stores, etc....

if you have any other questiosn or would liek to discuss your needs please feel free to contact em and I will provide you with the information you need.
Web Reference: http://www.davedicecco.com
Nicolasina,
I would love to assist you in your home search here in Charlotte, I moved here myself from up north 10 yrs ago and at the time I was not a realtor yet and I sure wish I had the assistance of a well established realtor in the area, I did not and quite frankly ended up being in an area that I later found was not condusive to my lifestyle or what I was really looking for but on the outside it looked like a great area to live at the time. Let me know if I can be of assistance, even if not as a realtor but as a guide to your new city.
John
john@johnkurtzhomes.com
Hi Nicolasina,

I am a native of Charlotte and I think your sexual orientation here in Charlotte has no impact on where you should relocate to. Charlotte has seen a diversified influx of different types of people and is nonjudgmental. There is a place for everyone in every lifestyle here. Let me know if I can be of assistance in your new home search.

Craig White
My Townhome Realty/Maison Properties
cwhite@mytownhome.com
704.906.7899
You have many interesting answers to sift through. While I understand the Fair Housing Act as a law that was designed to prevent discrimination, I do not understand how it should prevent you from getting the information that you seek. In general, areas of Charlotte metro that have more people moving from all over the United States, as well as all over the world, are more tolerant. There is a gay and lesbian welcoming center in Plaza Midwood. Realtors could sign up there to work with newcomers to Charlotte. I hope that you would consider my listing in Colvard Park, 10009 Lampkin Way or the new build that is in the Lake Norman area, 20036 Northport Drive.
Thanks, Robin

If you expect problems -- you'll find them. If you just be be a good person and not judgemental about folks different than yourself -- you'll be just fine I think regardless of where you go.

I sold the house arcoss the street to my listing to a same sex couple and I don't think they could be happier with the house and the accepting neighbors.

But again, they are just easy to approach and non judgemental people. We enjoy all our neighbors and accept their differences as something that makes them unique.

You'll find most folks will give to you what they get from you( attitude, acceptance, space, distance, resentment etc. etc.). If you find upper middle income neighborhoods you find less ignorance.

You the website http://www.zipskinny.com/ to check in socio-economic information.

What are you looking for in a house? Do you know what price range you are looking at? What is the most inportant thing about a home that you'll need need?

You c an find some really good webistes to assist you in the home purchasing process at my site.
http://www.gregbeckerrealty.com/
http://www.gregbeckerrealty.com/listings/cambridgebay/5358ca…
Welcome! My partner and I moved to Charlotte 4 years ago and we do love it here. We've been incredibly welcomed (I think largely in part to the influx of people from "up north"!), but there are certainly areas in which we feel more comfortable. Non-discrimination is one thing - feeling "at home" is sometimes another all together and today, we probably would have chosen a different area than we did.

I'd be happy to help you in any way that I can - whether it be finding the right house or finding the right coffe-shop. Again welcome to Charlotte! (We're not known as the "Queen City" for nothing!)

Conrad Miller
Keller Williams Realty - Ballantyne Area Market Center
Email: Conrad@kwcharlotte.com
Nicolasina, Congratulations on your move to Charlotte, "The Queen City." Having said that I would encourage to get a real estate agent and visit areas that have amenities that you and your partner find interested. For the most part, people do care who you are with, moreso than what kind of personality you have when you are engaged with people. Soon to be added to our code of ethics is discrimination based on sexual orientation. Along those same lines is that I would be leary of agents telling you about " gay friendly" areas. We know that as STEERING which is prohibited by our code of ethics. People are going to judge you based on you. All of Charlotte meets that criteria for the most part. My recommendation is to come on down and let an agent show you around and see what features and amenities in the neighborhood you like and go from there. You may not know that the #1 migrate to NC is from New York. Get in where you fit in.
Hi Nicolasina,
You should probably check out any of the "in-town" neighborhoods such as Plaza-Midwood, Elizabeth, SouthEnd or Uptown Charlotte. My partner and I live in NoDa, also known as The Arts District, which has kind of a funky urban, artsy kind of feel. It is known as one of the gay-friendly neighborhoods of Charlotte. If you want more upscale, probably SouthEnd areas - maybe South Park or Myers Park.

There is definitely something for everyone here in Charlotte. I would be happy to help you and your partner in your relocation if you are not already working with an agent. Feel free to contact me by phone or email anytime.

Jim Wells
Nord Realty
704-493-6691
JimWells33@gmail.com
Check out our neighborhood blog, http://www.Hiphoods.com. We have info on lots of cool liberal neighborhoods.... You'll love looking at the pictures and videos...
Web Reference: http://www.Hiphoods.com
Hello!

You should definitely come down for a visit. I am a native New Yorker and I love it here. If you have any questions, feel free to give me a call.

Mechell Harris
Broker/Realtor
Allen Tate Company
917-864-8726
mechell.harris@allentate.com
I think you guys would be welcome anywhere here. You may fall in love with some areas more than others tho. It's hard to answer your question without more information from you tho such as price range, housing requirements, etc...

You can give me a call if you want me to set up a gateway for you to hunt those homes down for you and send emails to you regularly as they pop up.

Thanks!
Allyson Ward
704 622 9506
The Fair Housing Act prohibits real estate agents from steering clients to or away from particular neighborhoods based on familial status; I'd suggest making contact with a local LGBT organization and talking to a few locals with similar interests.