In My Neighborhood in 78133>Question Details

Mccaffrey, Home Owner in San Antonio, TX

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY HOMES FOR SALEON THE SOUTH SIDE OF CANYON LAKE BETWEEN CRANES MILL PARK AND COMAL PARK ?

Asked by Mccaffrey, San Antonio, TX Tue Mar 29, 2011

Answers

5
Be glad and buy now !! It's not going to last.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 21, 2012
I live on the South side of the lake and can tell you that it was developed first because it was considered to have a better angle on the sun for fewer blistering afternoons on your deck AND because it was a bit closer for of a drive the Houston folks.
As for why there seems to be more homes for sale, the current residents are being bought out buy people who see that they can still have full lake access and total privacy without paying outrageous fees for some of the neighborhoods on the Northside. Smaller enclaves of 4 and 5 figure homes on the Southside with lake access are sitting next to homes that are begging for a total renovation. So the buyer can buy the preowned lake access home at a steal (compared to the Northside) or they can enjoy the complete renovation experience. Our Houstonian neighbors bought a "shack" on a good sized piece of land and bull dozed the shack down. They then split the property in 2 (both lake access and both Southside) and sold one piece for the cost of building their own home and guest house on the first piece of property. Very smart !!!!
So don't have any misgivings about the Southside. Its the best deal in "town"
I actually grew up in Canyon Lake Hills which is right in between those 2 parks. As Wanda mentioned, those areas have a high concentration of vacation homes. For some reason there is a high concentration of people from Houston that own homes out there too. My parents still live out there so I have some insight as to what is going on in the area. When the economy slows down vacation homes are first to go so there is always a lot of activity.

There is also a high concentration of homeowners in their senior years that need to move in closer to the city to be closer to their family, medical facilities, etc., so that is where a lot of sales come from as well.

Are you looking to buy out there? If so, you may be eligible for 100% USDA financing since that whole area is considered a Rural Development area. Most single family homes out there will be eligible for a No Money Down loan. If you are interested in the program let me know and I can forward you more details on the program. I have been lending in Texas for over 13 years and I am USDA loan specialist.

Elliott R. Oliva
Mortgage Banker
Envoy Mortgage
512.825.8309 direct
eoliva@envoymortgage.com
Se Habla Espanol
Tried to email you. Would like to get more information on the USDA program. I own some lots on the southside of the lake.
Flag Fri Apr 5, 2013
Hello. Many reasons ... some are, older section of lake and when developed, they made the lot sizes quite small ... w/ more homes. Its also due to the market, many people are having to sell due to job loss. We have many listings at the moment. It is also time of year. Many people list in Spring so this begins our very busy season. Thanks! Lisa http://(www.SullyRealty.com)
Web Reference: http://www.SullyRealty.com
The Northside of the lake is still be developed and new subdivisions are going up with high end homes. The south side of the lake has well established subdivisions and many are 2nd homes for owners.
In the 1960's when the lake was made many people scooped up land on the southside and as time has gone by the North side is being sold off and developed.

Hope this answers your question and if you have anymore feel free to call.
Wanda Wayne
210-326-7978
Trend Setter Realty
Texas Law requires all real estate licensees to give the following information about brokerage services:
http://www.trec.state.tx.us/pdf/contracts/OP-K.pdf