In My Neighborhood in 02050>Question Details

pberginholbr…, Home Buyer in 02050

WHAT IS THE AVERAGE COST PER SQUARE FOOT TO BUILD A 2,300 SQUARE FOOT RANCH STYLE HOUSE IN MASSACHUSETTS?

Asked by pberginholbrook, 02050 Sun Nov 25, 2012

Answers

10
Heath Coker’s answer
There are over 300 towns in MA.
Thus the average you seek will not provide a very useful answer.
Falmouth MA has over 70 miles of coastline, and other towns have none.
Building costs are more a function of the location's restrictions and requirements than ever before.

I would contact a local real estate professional in the town(s) you are focused on to help with this answer and to save time and money.
(I'm on the Cape, but I can help you choose a local pro if you want help doing so.)

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
At BOA Construction Corp...boaconstructionmass.com average 85.00 to 175 dollars per square feet depending on your location and qualities on energy supplies.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 13, 2013
This is probably the best real estate question, asked by customers and amongst real estate professionals. I have interviewed many builders, investors, general contractors and never is there a one amount fits all answer. Everyone is correct. As noted in other responses - site work and engineering may add expense. A form A lot, engineered and private sewerage and well (if applicable) will run at a higher premium than raw land. If you consider a builders package where the builder owns the subdivision - those costs will be masked in with new construction costs.

I suggest taking a trip to a 'box' store and browse the prices of materials, including kitchen and bath complete packages. The large price variations for a single component e.g. roof, the bargain shingles vs. lifetime warranty high end shingle can double the cost. Kitchen cabinets - use per linear foot can be triple depending on the craftsmanship.

Another good measurement of costs is modular home construction. I have visited several modular home companies and also their assembly plant. The pricing is fairly straightforward and can be a great source for price comparisons. You will be able to see the cost of upgrades for kitchen, bath, flooring, windows, electrical fixtures, doors and windows is not dissimilar to 'options' or 'trim packages' on a car. The quality of materials will stand out. Labor for installation will remain the constant low end to high end.

In the end, the more you know the better consumer you will become.

California and the Southwest has large home construction companies. They achieve savings in volume of new builds, but the individual general contractor may offer cost reductions with modifications to the house plans.

Take your time and be aware, you will be pleased.
You've received some great feedback here. If you would like some recommended builders for Marshfield I'm happy to help.
Why not simply contact a few local licensed contractors and ask for free estimates based on your needs, then go from there....
Or you can get this one already built! 2300 square foot ranch brand new construction: http://www.trulia.com/property/3009744448-1565-Main-St-Holde…
There is no set amount as much will have to do with the level of finish you are looking for.

Also the site work itself could be costly (town water? town sewer? or well and septic? ledge? Basement or slab?

Windows Harvey, Pella, Andersen? Levels within each manufacturer.

How many bath?

Are you doing it yourself or hiring a contractor to over see it?

A rough figure above land would be 175 a foot. It may be able to be done for less, but most people will go over.

ps Ron, I am also a licensed builder.
Good evening!

There are builders on here but most of the good ones are VERY BUSY in MA right now!

Try reaching out to:

Patrick Perkins CR,CLC
28A West Main St Millbury Ma 01527
508-865-4063 fax 508-865-9553
http://WWW.jepcontracting.com

or

Murdock Mackenzie
Old World Construction
508-485-6886
webmaster@owc3rd.com

or

Paul Canty
508-943-5773
pccando@hotmail.com

Any of those three contacts can give you some great information regarding building costs.

Amy
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 25, 2012
It is hard to compare an average price per square foot, due to differences in quality, building materials, and so forth. Having dealt with several builders, you would be safe to use $150/sq.ft.
This is a Real Estate site, populated by Realtors; I seriously doubt that there is a Building Contractor among us.
Now, if you had a Real Estate question.....

But, curious, what good would it do; knowing the AVERAGE?